Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeasts

Dear all!

The week after half term I am beginning our Science topic on Minibeasts. I am going to be observed on this lesson by my univiersity tutor.

I was thinking of showing the children the different minibeasts on the IWB and then follow up with a minibeast hunt. However, my mentor said that this would not be a good idea for an observed lesson. Can anyone suggest any other ideas and independent activities for a totally whizz bang lesson!! By the way it is Year 1.

Any help appreciated!

MANY THANKS!!

in your tuff spot or sand tray put a bag of compost, add small world mini beasts and rocks, leaves, wood, stones etc make homes for the mini beasts.

Ladybirds- Numeracy: counting spots on ladybirds, adding spots on wings, depending on age put two spots on ladybirds and count in 2's

Ladybird Ladybird rhyme what to do in a fire in school at home emergency services etc.

Spiders: give junk model equip and make spiders. Draw webs on black paper using chalk/glitter etc.

What is a web for? Go on a web hunt around the grounds see what else gets caught in them, why are they made in the places you find them? Give a picture of house/garden/shed etc and ask the children to draw webs in good places.

Woodlouse, look at woodlouse bodies how they are made to protect, what might like to eat them? Why do they curl up into a ball? investigate picking up sphere's with tweezers!

Worms add compost to tuff spot and put in REAL worms (this went down a storm in my class) give magnifying glasses to investigate put rulers nearby for measuring, GIVE being gentle rules and care of animal rules- mine were very good with this exercise and even the most timid touched one in this situation!

What lovely things, Marion. Thank you very much for those :o. They're all safely stored on my computer now ready for future use!

I use this site when I do minibeasts: http://www.ers.north-ayrshire.gov.uk/minibeasts.htm

We go out and look for the different types of minibeasts from the 'Minibeast hunt table'. I have big pictures of all of those things and everytime the children find one we post it into a box. We then come back and look at all the creatures we've found and sort the pictures. We ponder how we could put this up for everyone to see and decide that it would take up too much space. This then leads us into an ICT session where the children use the table to input everything they've found and we then print this out.

I know you've been advised not to do a minibeast hunt but I wonder why? What better way to learn about minibeasts than by getting out there and finding them, talking about what you've found and where you've found it? Sure, you may not have the control that you'd have in a classroom but wouldn't they make allowances for that? Being out and about and getting stuck in is a big part of early years learning. Anyway, I'm off my soapbox now! Good luck!

Edited by Guest

Many thanks for all your suggestions! Yes, I totally agree Moose, there's nothing better than experiencing the 'real thing' first hand and think this would make a great lesson! However, because I am training I am a little constrained to what my mentor thinks is best. Thanks once again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)