Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Stressed Need Advice

belle06

Hi all

Well i have not been on line for a while (Computer broke) so have missed chatting to you all. As some of you will know I am on the last part of my FD I have a problem my ECA for E215 is due but I am just not managing to get my head round it. I failed the last TMA but could still pass the course if I knew what I was doing (aargggh) do I withdraw and admit I can not do it or should I stress myself out even more and send something in for the ECA and retake next year when I fail? The problem I have is that I need to have this FD to go on and complete BA and EYPS and have funding and job deadlines to meet to gain the qualification. I am now at the stage where I could just sit and cry or go and work in a shop!!. Sorry for the negative rant just need someone clear headed advice!! :o

Oh Shelley, don't really know what advice to give, only that you are welcome to rant and I hope that it has made you feel better, try not to get too stresssed as you will end up being ill.

Look after yourself and forget it for today, sleep on it and think about it tomorrow, delaying the inevitable I know but sometimes you need to switch off and you may think more clearly tomorrow.

Sorry rubbish advice but genuine empathy coming from me to you. :o

shelly i will give u all the help u need problem is i dont know what E215 is as do mine though college, chin up we all have our doubts but get bthrough it will help all i can as will others :o

So sorry not to be able to give any practical advice Shelley since both the EY degree and course requirements (i.e.numbers) are unfamiliar to me.

However,just want you to know that I have accessed many of your posts and advice on this forum so please don't go and work in a shop. What a loss that would be!

Lynn

Am only just beginning my FD and can sometimes feel overwhelmed with what's being asked but feel that if you persevere little by little you will gain the knowledge and the confidence you need and then you will realize - actually I do know this. I've only done one assignment - to have come as far as you have and give up would be a shame. We all feel like going to work in a shop from time to time - I'd like to work in Thorntons!

Give yourself a break for a couple of days, take some exercise, recharge your batteries, look after yourself!

as Deb said...a break, not thinking about it and then return with a new look can help , you have come so far it would seem a shame to give up because of the end of year panic to get things done...

student I mentor via college went through the same about 3 weeks ago now, but she has had 3 assignments to get finished for this month one being her research module, so ended up in a muddle trying to do them all at once. A weekend break and looking at one at a time has helped her enormously ,

someone to dicuss what you are doing may also help, even if they do not fully understand content it can help to focus your thinking.

Have a break and look at it again with renewed vigour.

you can do it

Inge

Don't give up Shelley. I so admire you girls and ladies that are having the courage to take your degree. I wish I had the time and the courage to take it but I'm getting to old to do that amount of studying now. I wish I was 10 years younger.

Can you not go to a tutor or mentor and ask for help. I'm sure if you explained how desperate you feel they would give you some idea of where to go from here.

As Shirel said sleep on it and look at it in a new light tomorrow, and find some one to give you a hint of what to do next.

Good luck but don't give up when you've got so far.

Is it possible for you to do some of your FD study in work time? We had a staff member who was really struggling to do her DPP so we gave her some work time to study in - after all it is the setting that will benefit. Good luck with it all.

Maybe you are struggling a bit because you are so busy with your work life?

You are such a knowledgeable and skilled person that I feel it would be a shame for you not to get that recognised through gaining your qualification, but I also understand the pressures you must be going through, and how knackered you must be feeling.

Try and take some time out for yourself to relax, and have a think about things. Whatever you decide will be the right decision.

Thank

you for all your replies I am hoping to discuss having some time off with my bosses to enable me to look at the ECA hopefully things may look better then All your words of encouragement are much appreciated will keep you up to date with how I get on and what I decide.

Guest Wolfie

Can I ask what the ECA is - I've seen this discussed a lot on here but don't actually know what it is!

You've had some really sound advice already Shelley and I agree with others when they say your knowledge and expertise shine through in your posts. I went through this giving up stage a little while ago, there are various posts on it (sorry everyone!) but I did what was suggested by Shirel, took a little step back and looked at it all, work, home, college etc. I had a week off of doing any college work even though I couldn't afford to but it was that or go crazy! Even though it was a bit of a rush to 'catch up' with what I should've done, I felt so chuffed when it all came together and I am (hopefully!) on the other side of that now and even though I'm only at the end of the first year (already? where did the time go??!) I can see light at the end of the tunnel.

To give it up so near the end of the whole thing would be a shame, especially when you consider all the work that you have put into it. I'm sure you'll end up kicking yourself, especially as you have so many other plans for your future.

I agree with asking for support from you mentor/line manager. My previous boss was really not nice (and that is the polite version). My boss now is wonderful and is open to any issues I might have about my course or work. I too am allowed some study time at work, obviously when it's quiet but I find it really helps.

The other thing we have done as a group at college is we email each other everyday with whinges and moans and positive vibes just to keep us all going. Do you not have a network like that that you could turn to for some advice?

As Hali rightly said, all of us here will be there to support you. That's what is so fab about this place! You may have to translate all that jargon to me too though, as I go to college for mine.

Anyway, that was way much longer than I wanted to write, but I am in the middle of researching Victoria Climbie for my next assignment (Child Protection) and I needed the distraction.

Keep your chin up xx

HI

OK here goes! first the easy answer to Wolfie's question regarding what an ECA is. You may see this term and TMA used by anyone who studies with the OU. A TMA is a tutor marked assignment and the ECA is the final piece of work for a course. Some courses have an exam at the end and others have an ECA which is the examinable component assignment/assessment. This is not normally marked by our own tutor but is marked by two other tutors and verified by the OU's external examing board.

Having just completed the FD with the OU I know exactly what is involved in terms of sheer hard work, the tears, the laughter, the stress and all the other things that are involved along the way. It has taken me four years of part time study and on more than one occasion I considered giving up but plodded on and got there.

My advice would be not to give up now, it is the final piece of the final course for your FD. I would give it your best shot and that may well be sufficient to pass. I imagine you are doubting yourself and your ability to complete the ECA due to the disappointment of your last TMA.

The main focus of the ECA relates to the research you carried out during two blocks of study. Which 2 blocks you choose (you cannot choose block 1) from blocks 2-5 is up to you but my advice would be to look at all the research you carried out, look at the corresponding TMA's and choose the 2 blocks which you thought provided the best results and give you good 'stuff' to write about.

I would try not to be overwhelmed by the fact that it is the ECA just think of it as another essay! The word limit is low and it requires quite a bit of information. I think it is a case of looking at the detailed suggested structure and following it as close as you possibly can.

In the introduction you are asked for three or four key issues that arose so make sure you choose 3 or 4 and clearly state what they are (sorry I don't mean to sound as if I am spelling out the obvious!)

It is a case of reading and reading the structure they ask for and perhaps making notes that you can refer back to so that you can make sure you have included everything. You must mention your evaluation of your presentation to colleagues - this evaluation has to go in as an appendix so you must refer to it in your essay. Likewise with your PDP, it is a compulsory appendix and you have to mention it.

Once I had decided which two blocks I was going to focus on it made things a little clearer.I would highly recommend using headings/subheadings as suggested and I know of colleagues who were criticised for not using enough!

You need to demonstrate how your research findings have challenged your views and impacted on your practice. Theoretical perspectives are pretty important too! and I think I have mentioned Bronfenbrenner in all TMA's and certainly didn't leave him out of my ECA. You really need to get in something relating to your developing leadership skills if you can. It's the good old critical analysis they are after!

I really can't be very precise or give examples as everyone's ECA will be different as it relates to our individual research activities carried out during the course. However, I think you need to remember that overall you are reflecting on your personal/professional journey through E215 and how it has affected your thinking about the experience of a child in your setting. It's how the process of your research has impacted in two areas: your professional role within your setting and your on going professional development. The aspects of 'change' and leadership are particularly relevant.

In very general terms I found it helped me to try and not be overwhelmed by the thought of it being the ECA or by the amount of information they ask for. Some of it can be achieved in a sentance or two as long as it is in then it meets the requirement - for example in the introduction it states you should 'briefly refer to your professional context'. The marker has no idea of who you are or where you work, my attempt at addressing this requirement was literally to write:"... my practice as Deputy of a Pre school wich caters for Foundation Stage children from a diverse range of socio-economic backgrounds" The word count simply doesn't allow for anything more!

The actual collating of the ECA is quite detailed and it is really important that you include every piece of necessary paperwork, the confirmer forms, assignment checklist, the ECA checklists (appendices U and V in the courser materials, (I think form memory!) and the compulsory appendices plus any others you choose to include, I did create an ECA collation checklist which I am attaching to this which you may find useful.

Think that's about it but PLEASE PLEASE from someone who truly knows how you feel I just ask you to think long and hard before you give up - I so nearly did - and am now soooo glad I didn't and know I would have regretted if I had done so. You have put in the effort , done all the EYCLO's and RLO's etc etc and it would be such a shame to stop now.

If I can help then all you have to do is ask :o Hang on in there and good luck xDECA_checklist_latest.doc

Guest Wolfie

Thanks for that Geraldine! Shelley, you sound like you've got some really good advice from someone "in the know" there - hang on in there, we're all with you! :o

• 3 years later...
Hi all

Well i have not been on line for a while (Computer broke) so have missed chatting to you all. As some of you will know I am on the last part of my FD I have a problem my ECA for E215 is due but I am just not managing to get my head round it. I failed the last TMA but could still pass the course if I knew what I was doing (aargggh) do I withdraw and admit I can not do it or should I stress myself out even more and send something in for the ECA and retake next year when I fail? The problem I have is that I need to have this FD to go on and complete BA and EYPS and have funding and job deadlines to meet to gain the qualification. I am now at the stage where I could just sit and cry or go and work in a shop!!. Sorry for the negative rant just need someone clear headed advice!! :o

Hi

So what did you decide on?

I ahve also failed one of my TMA's and do not know whether to carry on