Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Egg Safety

WE currently have a topic on food running at preschool. One of my staff has suggested investigating eggs - seeing what they are like raw, cooked whisked etc. My gut feeling is to say no but is there any actual guidelines etc or am I being over protective

Al

My initial feelings are the same as yours avoid eggs in those circumstances not sure if there is anything in writing but you could try your local enviromental health officer or look at their on line advice section

I think it would depend upon the age and size of the group and also checking that there are no children with any egg allergies. After that you might want to carry out a risk assessment and take whatever precautions you think are necessary. Eggs that are kite marked are safe and always use within the date on the stamp mark. :o

I would think it's OK if you don't have any children with egg allergies.

We often look at what an egg looks like when we use them in cooking, there's the potential for children to stick their fingers in the mixture even though we tell them that eggs need to be cooked before we eat them.

We even let them put their fingers in the egg white and yolk so they could feel the texture. Would there be a problem if they washed their hands afterwards?

I would think it's OK if you don't have any children with egg allergies.

We often look at what an egg looks like when we use them in cooking, there's the potential for children to stick their fingers in the mixture even though we tell them that eggs need to be cooked before we eat them.

We even let them put their fingers in the egg white and yolk so they could feel the texture. Would there be a problem if they washed their hands afterwards?

I agree about allergies and risk assessment: we have a child with an allergy to raw egg but not to cooked. Mum raised an eyebrow about an egg box a child had brought into pre-school, even though she has never mentioned that her child was allergic to boxes too!

Seems such a shame for the children to miss out on an interesting investigative activity because eggs are perceived not to be safe! As for the kitemark (or is it a lion?) one of our families has hens who don't lay eggs with any such mark (she brought some in for 'show and tell') and I have to say they were delicious!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)