Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Adult Directed Activities?

Just wondering - how many adult activities do you have over a week. I am currently in nursery - children are part time - 3 adults (I yeacher, 2 TA's) during child initiated time we ahve 1 adult in the outdoor area, 1 adult doing the adult directed activity (linked to weekly theme) 7 1 adult on 'play support'. The adult activities i am refering to are the ones that tkae place during this time (we do focused taeching activiies at a separate time in the session. I was just wondering - we have been doing 2 different activities over the week - but this means that not all teh chdn have the opportunity to take part - so was thinking of switching to 1 which could run throughout the week - giving more time for chdn to come to it?????? Any thoughts ??????

In my preschool we plan the adult directed activity for individual or small groups, identified by previous observations. We plan to carry out 2 a day, one am and one pm. The adults do these 'key child' activities at a time that fits the specific childs play. Hope that makes sense, basically 2 child ( or small group of similar interest / development need) play plan per day, whilst other children are free play. for example aware that a child was interested in mixing colours so planned an adult led activity ( finger print mixing, one digit yellow, one digit blue, print on paper in a line - rub fingers together, what does it make - green) Displayed on the wall. The other children normally show an interest and join in.

Full group adult led happens about 3 times a session, 1/ register/news hello chat/intro to the day. 2/ story 3/ ring games/ songs etc. If children are engrossed in play we have missed any of these three group times as all can be done in small groups spontaneously.

Peggy

Hali - (sorry for me being a bit thick)

1 per session - does the activity change daily then or does the same activity run throughout the week??

PS - Thanks for the quick reply :o

PPS - You too Peggy xD

Hali - (sorry for me being a bit thick)

1 per session - does the activity change daily then or does the same activity run throughout the week??

PS - Thanks for the quick reply :o

PPS - You too Peggy xD

We have one adult-led activity every session (which is the same throughout the week to enable all the children to have an opportunity to take part). That said, we change the activity if it is clear the children have had enough, or extend an activity over another week if we feel children are still developing their 'theme' or ideas.

Other adults are on hand to support children's play and learning in other areas of the pre-school.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)