Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Observing Children

Hi we currently observe the children throughout the course of the week trying to ensure they have one written observation per day they attend. Can I ask how other settings use these observations they collect effectively. If their is something of interest we use it to inform following weeks planning or if there is something they couldn't yet do we may provide support in doing this. Is this enough? what will Ofsted want to see them used for. Just wanted to check I am correct in using these? Thanks

Thats the way I used to work bluemandie, my focused adult led activity once a day added to the general obs. Activity sheets for the week might have the initials of the children who would benefit most from taking part in something, and who needed help to develop a skill further.

I dont do ofsted anymore but I know from September the new EYFS document places lots of emphasis on observations and how these inform planning.

It sounds like you're well on the way. :o

Hi we currently observe the children throughout the course of the week trying to ensure they have one written observation per day they attend. Can I ask how other settings use these observations they collect effectively. If their is something of interest we use it to inform following weeks planning or if there is something they couldn't yet do we may provide support in doing this. Is this enough? what will Ofsted want to see them used for. Just wanted to check I am correct in using these? Thanks

Sounds good to me, bluemandie: your planning follows the interests/needs of the children which is very good practice. One written observation each day they attend is a high aspiration - I take it these could range from a quick note on a post-it to a longer narrative? You must be gathering lots of evidence of your children's learning!

We also have staff meetings where we discuss individual children's progress and any support they might need. Since there is usually a little group of children who have similar needs (such as scissor control, for example) we can then plan a range of activities to help children develop or practice skills.

The information from this meeting goes into our planning so we can identify what type of support children might need when they take part in adult-led activities, so they can gain the maximum benefit.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)