Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bank Holiday Working

Hi

Feeling a bit dense and am confused about bank holidays.

Do you pay your staff who would normally work on bank holidays?

A colleague has said that where she used to work, some time ago, people who normally worked on say a Monday got paid and people who worked other days also got paid an extra day.

Do we already get paid this with holiday pay entitlement or will this be addressed when the increase comes into effect in October?

As you can see, very confused, feeling dense. If anybody has the time and patience to spell it out to me in words of one syllable I would be eternally grateful! :o

I work in a sessional pre-school and no one gets any pay for bank holidays, even if they are working a double session. It is not inlcuded in the holiday entitlement either....just lost wages!

found this site which seems to say it in simple form holidays and pay

It says

Time off work on bank and public holidays

Although many workers take time off work on bank and public holidays, your employer is not required by law to allow you time off work on these days. However, the terms and conditions of your contract of employment may give you this right, either with or without pay.

Most workers, with some exceptions, have the right to take four weeks' paid holiday from work. Your contract may say that you can take bank and public holidays in addition to your four weeks' paid leave. If not, you may have to take them as part of this leave. Even if your contract of employment does not say in writing that you can take bank and public holidays in addition to leave, you may still have this right if it is usual for other people at your place of work to take time off on these days. Your contract of employment may give you the right to extra pay instead of time off work.

so I take it to mean the bank holidays are/can included in your 20 days unless your employer decides to give them as extra paid days.

May change in October but I believe this is why the entilement is rising so everyone can have the B/H days paid .

Inge

Edited by Inge

Although the setting I work in closes Bank Holidays, as I only work 3 days a week, I still work 3 days those weeks.

Bank Holidays are not actually statutory, as my daughter's employer (we are a Christian family) keeps telling her. She is a Beauty Therapist (lucky me!!), has a Hindu employer in a largely Muslim community - so our days of observance go out the window - Good Friday? What's that? Oh, so it's not important then (!!!!!!! :o !!!!!) and she has to work normally.

That's just one example. She was once asked to work Christmas Day (would you believe, the rationale was "Well, it's Christmas!") That was the time she flipped!

Sue x xD

Sorry, just realised I've wandered from the main query, but it's a sore point!

My staff get paid for 38 weeks work and have just thought that if there are bank holidays in that 38 weeks then they are paid for. I do 38 weeks pay plus 4 weeks holiday = 42 weeks pay divided by 52 weeks. and thats what they get every week. So looking at it that way they are paid 38 full weeks and 4 full weeks holiday.

Had never actually thought of the bank holidays :oxD:(

Interesting discussion :o

I work in a preschool offering full day care. We have full and part time staff and everyone is paid for Bank Holiday.

The part timers who do not normally work on Mondays get an extra days pay and the full time staff get a day off and full pay. In addition all staff get four weeks paid holiday a year.

I run a day nursery open 51 weeks. I pay qualified staff 28 days holiday per year (20 normal days and 8 bank hols) and I pay unqualified staff 20 days per year (12 normal days and 8 bank hols) obviously all pro rata.

Hi

I pay staff for Bank Holiday if they usually work it so they don't loose any money - the way I see it is you still have your income for the term, and the bank holiday is included in the money you receive. If we are usually open on a bank holiday they get it, if we are closed ie half term then they don't.

It is not very fair for staff to loose money when it is the management that has decided to close - the same as we do not charge fees for 2 1/2 year olds on that day either. - do the same as steff 38 weeks work and 4 weeks holiday

Deb

Many thanks for all your replies, very useful as always.

We do the same as you Deb, just wondered what the legal position was. Am off to look at our contracts.

Have a good bank holiday weekend everyone.

we do not get paid for B/H in our funding so no income for the day at all, they are excluded from the paid funding days ...we have to have 190 days a year with children in our care so end up having odd days open to make up the days.

Inge