Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ratios

SmileyPR

Could you kindly share your opinions on how many children you consider should be with one adult? This would be from ages 3 to 5/6.

A friend of mine is looking for a school for her child, who will become 3 on the last days of August. She is also concerned that he might be the youngest of his class since most of the children have to be 3 years old by the 1st of Sept. They live in the U.S.A.

Thanks in advance :o !

Edited by SmileyPR

I know that it is supposed to be 1:13 and, if it is a group of 30, at least one teacher. But, is this the reality in your settings? What do you think is best, especially for a 3 year old?

As few as possible is the ideal! When I worked in day nurseries it was 1:8 which was much better. What are the ratios in US then?

Out of choice we like 1:5 or less whenever possible at 3... 1:6 is usually our Max for 4.

as we all know we need 3 pairs of hands with the younger ones, but once settled and in a routine we do occasionally work 1:8.

Curious as to what is ratio in US if you are asking this question?

Inge

Edited by Inge

We have a 1:6 ratio for our 3-5 year olds - that is in a playgroup. The nursery attached to the school locally works on a 1:10 ratio because they have a teacher. :o She is like an octopus, obviously! xD

Well, I really don't know what is the ratio in the USA. I do recall a friend having a class of 25 with 5 year olds, 16 if they were 4... if I am not wrong. That was long time ago and she died young xD from an infection she got at the hospital.

I would say the most for 4 - 5 should be 1:8, for 2- 3 should be 1:4 the most... but blessed are those who can enjoy this :o . I have 16 all my myself, well 14 because 2 moved back to their native countries.

This new EYPS brings a 1:13 for over 3's but i think thats ridiculous. We will only be using the 1:13 where we have unqualified staff to use within this, but I will be e.g. conducting observations whilst those staff support the children.

The ratios are 1:13 with a teacher present

1:10 for over 8's

1:8 for over 3's

1:4 for over 2'3

1:3 for under 2's

We stick to these but have supernumery staff "pottering" about doing various things, so support is always available to reduce any stress on the staff.

Yes, Marion... they have put 1:30 for a Reception Class :o ! I just can't understand why they keep putting Reception children as 'school-aged' and don't leave this group definitively within the Foundation Stage. Reception has and keeps being like the jam/cheese between the sandwich xD .

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)