Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rent

hi another question about my pending preschool the church have suggested rent of £25 per morning session (two and half hours) is this reasonable?

I can also have hall for four mornings per week do u think parents would want this?

I pay £10 an hour, £35 for 3 1/2 hours, so yours would be the same. I suppose then it would seem to be ok. I know a lot of groups pay a lot less but some do pay more.

Linda

A lot of parents are quite happy to send their child to pre-school for 4-5 sessions a week and if you claim the NEG it covers upto 5 sessions of 2.5 hours (or has that changed to 3 hours now?) a week so some parents might expect more than one session anyway.

Would you be able to fill the sessions on all the days available? You dont want to be paying rent on an empty room!

What age groups are you taking? Will there be fee payers? Make sure your income either from NEG or fee's will pay the rent regularly, plus resources and wages.

It sounds like an exciting time. Hope all goes well. :o

Might be an idea to check eaxactly what the rent covers. We pay rent for the church hall which we use for Pre School, and it has been really reasonable for the last 10 years - however - this year the Gas prices have soared and our borough council are heavily into recycling so now we are having to increase fees dramatically to cover increase in rent which has gone up and have to pay the church a hefty sum to remove our rubbish as we being the main users create the most. Church is now talking about paying a contract cleaner - in the past the premises has been cleaned regularly by church members, but this is no longer happening - so our rent is due to increase again we think! Check out all the details and make sure you get a written contract.

Just a thought ...... will you be setting up and putting away every day? If so you'll need to add in an extra 1 hour plus (or in our case nearly 2 hours) so will they charge extra rent for that?

We are a church pre-school and pay £17 per morning which includes all setting up time etc. Although that may sound good it comes with a lot of hassle which I won't go into right now! :o

Finding premises is really difficult, so well done on getting them!

Godd luck! xD

Your question about is this reasonable really depends on what level of fees you can charge, comparing fees of other local providers will be part of your considerations. Also as others have said the NEG income, which cannot be subsidised by additional fee charges to parents must be seriously considered within your costing calculations.

The surestart pack I put a link to in your other posts gives methods for calculating 'break even' sums using only information you would have of all costs incurred to run the business, from this you can calculate charges and see if the NEG is sufficient to support your costs.

Peggy