Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foundation Degree

Lou

Please help i have got a really bad case of writers block. Just need a little nudge in the right direction.

Can any kind person give me some ideas on how in recent years an early years supervisors role has changed. I know it sounds easy but i just can't get the grey matter to work.

Hi

I would personally say that the role has changed from one that was primarily about playing with the children and carrying out activities to one which is now becoming more supervisory and focusing more on completing the relevant paperwork. A supervisors role used to be one that was taken on due to life skills and expereince this has now changed to be one that focuses on having the relevant qualifications and about following guidelines a meeting ever increasing legislation. A supervisor role has also changed in recent years for the fact that day care and early years practitioners are now getting more recognition for the valuable work that they do (Still not enough). Hope that was not too much of a rant. Shelley

Do you supervisor as in leader or as in manager.

Mine has changed that now as a manager I hardly spend any time with the children and more time with paperwork and parents. My leaders spend more time doing paperwork and making sure staff keep doing what they should be doing. They supervisors the staff more, and certainly have to do more paperwork on children and staff.

We do get more recognition, but still not enough and we are still looked down upon as not being qualified enough because we have experience not black and white paperwork to say we have experience.

sorry like Shelley its a rantable subject. xD:o

Steph

i agree with steph when i started a supervisors job 7 yrs ago i supervised staff and daily running of setting now i manage staff and the rest!!!!!!! xD i too do not spend time with the children anymore as too busy doing paperwork :o

Steph and shelley you rant thats what gets good discussions going. I supervise and manage (jack of all trades) I feel that most of us that are supervisors have turned into managers. We have just taken more work on and the huge amounts of paper work dictate this. I'm not sure about the level of training we will have to do. I think we will be excluding a lot of experienced early years staff that don't feel they can continue with studying. Would these early years staff be happy to take a step down or would they leave the profession? On the other hand here i am early 40s (note the early bit) on the foundation degree. The opportunities i have available to me are only limited by myself. I must admit like Hali i don't spend long with the children but last week i made a whole session of play time FOR ME. I had a lot of fun with the children.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I agree with all comments.

I started out as a supervisor or leader 5 years ago but the work load and expectations of the job role have changed dramatically due to the introduction of new legislations, policies and curriculums.

I remember when I could go into work, make sure everything was organised and then play with the children, feel relaxed and really enjoy my job.

These days I am finding it more and more difficult to spend quality time with the children and therfore not enjoying my job as I should.

Then again that could be down to my horrendous time planning. I work 4 days or 8 sessions and I am meant to spend 3 of those completeing managerial tasks but have now found that it is more like 6 sessions and creeping into more.

As well as spending my own personal freetime (which should be used to spend time with my family/housework/studies) updating policies, procedures, operational plans, registration, staffing issues etc etc etc

The role now has become largley administrative and requires these skills (which I do not have).

But then again we are all still doing it !!!!

Net x :oxD:(

I also agree with all of the above. I used to be able to spend time with the children and not do so much at home, but now with the new legislation i do more and more paperwork at home. I'm in 9 sessions a week at the pre-school, so spend most evenings and sundays doing paperwork, just to keep up, i then spend my holidays updating policies and things i can't manage to do during the week. It never seems to stop!!!!!!

agree with previous comments, would also like to add that the other changes for supervisors / managers is implimenting the ethos of 'reflective practice' following on from external influences such as the EPPE research etc. The whole face of early years has changed which automatically changes the role of its leaders.

Another example is the increase in multi agency working, regular visits from advisory teachers, supporting parents through knowledge of other agencies requirements to meet young childrens needs. ie: I have become a better advisor re: Speach and Language services because this has been seen as an area for LA's to develop. In fact the Every Child Matters and 5 outcomes has changed who supervisors/managers refer parents to, health, education, social services, LAC, SENCO are all working more closely together, this has required managers to develop different communication methods and styles. The need for ITC skills has become more prevalent too.

I could go on........................increased professional development in terms of qualification requirements...................better financial acumen to maintain sustainability following introduction of government funding.......................understanding of childrens needs at an earlier age BTTM ( compared to preschools who only took age 3+ in the past)...................training skills ie: much more emphasis on in service training to keep up with all the requirements ( policy and practice).....etc

Good luck with your assignement :o

Peggy

ooh, just thought....ACCOUNTABILITY, this has increased ten fold, with Ofsted, funding, grants, etc, even as a private business owner we are more accountable than say a retailer who owns his/her own business.

Peggy

Thanks everyone

I have completed the assignment now but i'm sure i will need the extra information in my next module.

Just got to wait and see if i have passed.

We actually get from May to September off just some light researching during the summer.

Hope your course is going alright Peggy.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)