Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Jabadao

Its designed to provide opportunities for spontaneous movement and is based on the way children develop through specific early movement patterns and activities that appear to prompt neurological development. In some ways its compensatory for stages children may not experience in their day to day lifestyles.

Hi

in all honesty I would focus on the ribbon sticks and the lycra long scooge thing (Forgot name) circle of elastic that stretches and pulls. nThe children love our ribbon sticks and the scarves that you get you can purcahse a lot cheaper at boyes or a fabric shop. Shelley

I made our own ribbon sticks. I bought some dowel from B&Q and bought off cuts of ribbon from various source (florist ribbon is nice). It was alot cheaper than buying them.

Something that has worked well for us instead of dowelling is using yakult type bottles. Pierce a hole in the top rim to thread ribbon through and tie tightly. Small hands can hold the bottles easily and no-ones eyes get poked out!!

hi

I'd love to hear from any of you who have set one up - I'm set with the challenge of establishing one in the preschool I support - should be interesting!!!

Hi haven't contributed on the forum before but just read your post about Jabadao, which is a huge passion of mine. I trained with the organisation 7 years ago and was part of a research project they undertook. I am a teacher and ed. psychologist but manage a day nursery since having my children and in order to give equal value to spontaneous movement in the curriculum we have set up a movement corner -which the childen use as they do the home corner or construction area etc. Would be happy to share more if people interested.

Hello dougy and congratulations on your first post! I would love to see/hear more about your experiences please..... this is entirely new to me and I am intrigued, especially from the context of a pre-school as you mention you plan to help one develop a movement corner. Do post more!

Dougy I would be really interested to know more as we are attempting to set up a spontaneous movement area in the classroom. What we have done so far is put 4 PE mats in the corner of the room with mirrors and hand and foot prints placed on the walls. We have ribbon sticks body balls and elastics available as part of our PD resources which we plan to make available to the children. Already the children are eager to use the area. We have also adopted the ideas for storytime allowing the children to sit/ lie/slouch rather than sit cross legged. As I said in my original post the staff did 2 days training last week and continue over the next few months so we are very much experimenting and looking for ideas and suggestions.

Marion, when you say in the corner, do you mean the mats go right up to the walls? Our children can and do crash into walls....... Not intended flippantly, did you do a risk assessment or did you just set it up? What level of supervision do you think your children will need, what age are they.......... If Jabadao is a medical condition its definitely catching!

I teach in a Foundation Unit so our children are 3-nearly six. We have actually enclosed the area on 3 sides and are restricting numbers who can use it at one time. As my nursery nurse only came back from the course on Thursday it is still very much a work in progress. We haven't done a special risk assessment above the general one for children's physical activities in the unit

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)