Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Calling All Gardeners Out There

Have got loads of bluebells growing in my garden and wanted to pick some to take into work tomorrow for our spring display but thought it best to see if they are poisonous. Have looked at several sites on the internet and bluebells are not mentioned there.

At work I've got a new booklet that I got given on my recent Early Years First Aid course. It's got a whole page of poisonous plants in there. I'll have a look for you.

bluebells die as soon as you pick them

can't say I have had a problem with them, BUT if this happens, next bunch you pick, just stick the ends of the stlks over a hot flame for a moment or two to seal them and that should stop it happening so quickly.Same with hellebores/christmas roses (I used to do flower arranging at my old job!!)

while we are on the subect does any one know if strawberry leaves are poisonous. I have brought some starwberry plants for the nursery garden.

Bluebells weren't in the list of poisonous plants, but daffodils were!

Someone told me today it's illegal to pick bluebells - but I have never heard of that??!!

"In the United Kingdom the common bluebell has been a protected species since 1981. This legislation was toughened up in 1998 under schedule 8 of the wildlife and countryside act and as such the trade in common bluebell bulbs or seeds is an offence. Landowners are prohibited from removing bluebells on their land for sale. Wild bluebells are protected by the legislation and it is a criminal offence to remove the bulbs."

Taken from wikipedia- common bluebells

it is the native species which is protected the Spanish Bluebell is more often the cultivated one is Ok to pick, in fact they do suggest removing it totally to prevent cross pollination, and preserve the endangered native species.

Inge

Thank you all for your replies.

I've always been under the impression that wild flowers in general should not be picked.

Thought that as they are taking over my garden, I could pick one or two. They come in such a range of colours, such as white, lilac and of course blue!

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to donate some bulbs to our setting for next year.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)