Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Friendly Advice Urgently Needed

Here are the recent events of the past few weeks (bear with me!!):

* As of next Friday, I have no job. I have never handed in my notice before without having a job to go to, but KNEW that the right decision for me was to get out of my job asap. I have been managing a nursery with children aged 0 to 5 - and ideally would like to do this elsewhere.

* Last week I got offered the job as the nursery manager at a private school. It has been up and running for a long time, and needs a lot of development and change. It takes 20 children aged 2.9 years to 4 years, and is all based with 1 large classroom - with the possibility of expansion in the future. I came away with a lot of doubts - 1 of them being the set up e.g. no under 2's/ all children in 1 room, etc.

They offered the job to me until the end of July - to start asap, and if I like it and they like me, it will be permanent as of Sept. I said I'd let them know today.

*Two days ago I went for an interview as a nursery manager in a chain nursery. Within a few minutes of being there, I knew for certain that there was no way over my dead body I would work there. I got offered it today - and turned it down!

*Today I went for a manager's interview at a private setting. I loved the look of it - but didn't get it!

Now please be completely honest with me - all opinions welcomed!!

I am now in a postion where I need to let the private school know.

I need a decent income, and as of Friday next week - have none!

I have joined a supply teaching agency, as I am also a qualified teacher, so have the option of doing that. There seems to be plently of supply work about.

Do I accept the job at the private school, seeing as it is possibly only until the end of July, or do I supply teach? The private school job would be better money, and would allow me to implement change, etc, however - I am concerned because I just can't bear the thought of going somewhere and not being happy. My current job has made me feel so miserable - and I never want to go through that again. I don't know that I wouldn't be happy at the school, I just know that I'm doubtful, and not excited about it. Every new job I have ever had has made me excited.

I had the vision that I would manage another setting with 0 to 5s - would the set-up of the school and the age ranges be a let down to me, or just another way of working?

I am so confused :o and just need some honest opinions. People keep saying "only you can know what is best" .... well I have to say that I don't have a bloomin clue!!!!

HELP!

Edited by Guest

Hi Shelley

I think if you read your post through you know what you want to do!

I have an issue I'm sorting through in my mind and when I put in out here on the forum the replies made me think - no thats not right or yes I do - ie they made it clearer about what I will decide to do, given the options.

So watch for replies but I think if you can get enough money to keep you going go for supply cos you don't sound like you want the other job.

Whatever you decide Good Luck

Jo

I would take the job in the private school so long as you would be allowed to implement the changes you know that are necessary. As it is temporary until July if it doesn't totally suit at least you know it's only going to be for a few months. Many settings have children of 2.9 to 4 all in one room the challenge is being able to differentiate activities for all ages and/or abilities. Finally as you're getting married soon a steady routine and income will be one less thing to have to worry about. I'm sure whatever you decide though you'll give it your usual 100%.

Karrie

Personally I would like the challenge of changing the structure in the private school but it sounds as if you have lots of doubts. If you did decide to take it there isn't a great deal of time until July and who knows you may love it once you started but if you don't you are still free to look.

Good Luck

Shelley,

I can understand why you are so worried about this private job after the time you have had recently. However, at least this is something you know may be just temporary and you would be able to walk away from it legitimately in the summer if you are not happy with it. As the others have said, it is at least guaranteed and steady income for that time. Additionally it will give you experience with a different sort of set up which you never know, you might actually end up preferring! What is it grannies say - suck it and see?? :D

On the other hand the supply work is less commitment and gives you chance to continue looking for that perfect job - if it exists!! :o

What an interesting few weeks you've had!

I think that I would take the job in the nursery school as it would provide an income when you need it - supply could be more hit and miss.

The challenge sounds hard work but would give you something to get your teeth in to.

Not working with babies isn't such a bad thing, unless they are your favourite age group? If you are a qualified teacher, wouldn't the older children be more up your street?

If it's only until July to see if they like you or you like them, isn't this your get out clause as much as it is theirs? If you really don't enjoy it by the end of July, you can terminate the agreement and you go back to the situation where you are now and looking for a job.

I'll say the same to you as I did my old boss when she had the opportunity to become a director in one of the big chains, but needed to relocate.... don't look back in three, six or 12 months and think 'what if...?' (She made the move and is loving it!) No-one is going to look at you as a failure if you decide that it isn't right - at least you will have given it a go.

If all else fails, write a list of pros and cons and you'll find yourself leaning towards one preference without even thinking about it.

Hi Shelly,

When are you getting married? I ask because if it is this summer and you are with all the preparations for the wedding, then I can suspect that this last term can become a bit hectic and full of tension :o in your life and more when you are searching for a new job.

Let's talk about the setting... There are 20 children. How many adults per child? What resources do you have, apart of the classroom itself? Are the toys for under 3's in a safe place apart of those older than them? Is there a possibility of arranging the classroom so that is possible? Just a few questions to start. The other members of the forum who have more experience with Nursery will be able to help you more than I can.

I know you might be needing money now, but if you don't have a 'good feeling'... then maybe something better is 'coming by the corner'. At the same time, if this is just temporary... then you could take this job until July and still look for something else in the meanwhile. You don't have a compromise or a final contract with them already.

Best wishes for you :) .

personally i wou;ld write the list of pros and cons (my mum taught me that) :D if your gut feeling dosnt want the job and you can afford to turn it down then do it..the right job will come along...good luck in whatever you decide. :D

Guest Wolfie

I think I would be inclined to take a breather - you've had a tough few weeks in your present job and have a wedding coming up which will take a lot of your time and energy. If you can afford to, and you think that supply work will be in plentiful supply(sorry, that doesn't sound right! :o ), I would go for that; you can walk away at the end of each day with much less to think and worry about and that will give you time to spend on your wedding which HAS to be the most important thing at the moment!

Good luck whatever you decide -as other people have said, if you choose to take the job, you can walk away from it legitimately at the end of July if it doesn't work out for you.

I'm a deputy supervisor working in a pre-school with the same age range of children, maximum of 20 children with 3 staff (SEN staff cover extra ie one to one), all one classroom with different zones or areas semi partitioned by furniture, leading out to our own fenced playground. I love it. I guess it's just what you are used to. Looking after babies doesn't appeal to me much (love them but like our children I need to be active) but I'm sure I would be sold by their giggles!

What I'm trying to say is, don't let that put you off, it's just another way of working. The younger children quickly settle with caring adults to look after them and the other children to guide them.

Are there other reasons that put you off the setting or is your confidence a little low after your difficult time? It sounds like you might have accepted the job you didn't get offered, perhaps because you felt happier with the familiar set up.

Having a regular income could take the pressure off you at this expensive time on the other hand being able to think about yourself a bit more on the run up to your wedding could make things less stressful.

Why do they need somebody so quickly? Try to find out why the previous post holder left? Are the staff keen to change?

Not sure this is much help, I seem as undecided as you!!! Good luck what ever you decide.

Thank you for all the responses - I am taking them all in and mulling them over - you all don't know how helpful you are being.

THANKS

What did you decide Shelley?

I have been in a very similar situation myself ie offered a job that initially excited me and then decided it wasnt right and opted for supply. The supply experience was good for me but you have already taken a decision to use your skills in a different way and supply can be very demoralising especially if you need the money and the work doesnt materialise. I have found that agencies will always tell you there is work but if is appears it is not always what you want.

I always think if you make your mind up to do something and it isnt right you will soon know and it does sound as if you know you dont want this job but as others have said it is actually for quite a short time and would get you out of an immediate hole although do you really want to be back in this place in a few weeks?

hope that helps but I am probably too late!

Hi shelley

I would go for the school if you weren't getting married, but are you going to be able to do all the things you want in the school if you are busy preparing for your wedding.

On the other hand to start of your marriage with what could possibly be a very nice job, with good security.

Sorry thats giving you 2 options.

What were your first initial gut reactions to the school. If you have doubts they will still be there when you start.

Go with what you feel is the best for you at this moment in time. I can remember doing temping when I first got married many moons ago and it was right at the time no pressure just go in do the job and come home.

If you didn't like a place you knew it was only temporary.

Maybe at this moment with your wedding coming up it would be a lot less pressure.

Jobs come and go but you will only have one Wedding.

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Steph

hi,

my feeling is as others have suggested, the job in the school is only for afew months which is a resonable amount of time to settle in and form a realistic opinion of your future there. You will be fairly busy implementing changes and meeting and getting to know everyone, and with the preparations for the wedding i think you will be busy enough not to fret too much about the absence of the younger age group.

You can still supply teach in july if you choose not to take this opportunity, but cant do it the other way around.

You will have structure in your hours and days, and play around with ideas that you wont get the opportunity to in supply.

And as a bonus, theres another half term coming up before july, so a built in holiday too.

I think you could view it as a trial, and its not too long if it doesnt work out, but it gives you longer to find your perfect job somewhere you would like and valuable experience in the meantime if its not for you.

If all else fails, toss a coin, because everyday brings a new perspective and who is to say which one will be true?

Whatever happens we are all here to support and listen to you. Good Luck :)

Bl00dy cheek!!!!!

The nursery that I didn't get the job at (but really wanted it) have just contacted me to see if they can pop into work and see me this week, and take some copies of my policies - as mine are much better than theirs!!!!!

Cheeky .... but funny too!!!!!

Oh that really made me LOL :oxD

Cheeky or what!

Bl00dy cheek!!!!!

The nursery that I didn't get the job at (but really wanted it) have just contacted me to see if they can pop into work and see me this week, and take some copies of my policies - as mine are much better than theirs!!!!!

Bl00dy cheek!!!!!

definitely cheeky... hope you referred them to your current boss to as, after all they belong to the setting and while we often share on here in my case it is with permission from the committee.

Inge

omg :o

I dont think i would have even referred them to the boss, I would have said, that you and your policies are a package and as they weren't good enough to get passed the interview you might hold onto them a little while longer. :D

Some people have too much front!

Still debating!!

Finished work today so can take a breather now and relook at things.

Have never been like this in my life before - once bitten, twice shy!!!

I went and had a look at the school this morning, with the children and the staff there - and I liked what I saw.

Lots of room for development and change, and a room and resources that have seen better days. BUT most importantly, what appeared to be a really good and dedicated team - which to me is the most important thing, as you can have all the resources in the world (as my last setting proved), but it's the staff that count.

Am waiting to hear back about another job tomorrow, and then shall make final decision. Having had a few days to breathe after leaving my last job, I am feeling much more clear headed now.

So by tomorrow night - I will be able to let you know my next venture! Can't be without a job for long - my FSF subscription is up for renewal - and where would I be without that :oxD

Guest Wolfie

You're so right - with the right staff and good teamwork, anything can be achieved, the staff are always the most important resource in any setting.

It's all sounding good Shelley, all the best again, you sound like your clear in what you want and I think you will know when the time comes, I am sure you will make the right judgement, :oxD