Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Kung-fu Writing

Hi everyone,

Sorry to raise this one again and more to the point to be so thick, but I am struggling with this. I can get full stops (punch) and possibly even exclamation marks (jump and punch??) but I don't know how to do commas, question marks, speech marks etc.

I have followed the previous posts with great interest and am really excited about starting BIG writing - I have even got the rest of the staff interested (they are going to see how I do first!), but feel I am about to fall at the first hurdle if I can't even work this out!

Your help and advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Kung fu writing is really kung fu punctuation, I am sure there is a video clip available online, I'll see if I can find it. Its basically an animated kung fu style of remembering full stops etc, I first saw it used with older children, does anyone actually use it with younger ones?

The commas etc and really all in the hand movement with accompanying sounds!

Ros Wilson at our big writing course, was very keen to ensure that the correct person got the credit for the kung fu punctuation it wasn't the chap who did it on the TV programme (unteachable I think it was called), it a young lady by the name of Julia I think.

Guest Wolfie

It sounds like a keep fit routine!!! I'd love to see it being done somewhere, it must be great fun!

I'm sure there must be a videoclip online somewhere, I'll have a look also. Abit hard to explain without you actually being able to see it being done. It's lots of fun though and the kids love doing it!

I first saw it used with older children, does anyone actually use it with younger ones?

The youngest I've seen it being used with are 6-7 year olds. but then I think they mainly used, fullstop, question mark and explanation mark

Thanks Marion,

that video clip was just what I was looking for and explains a lot. I think I was trying to make it too physical in my mind! :o

Cookieboy we only use full stop exclamation mark and question mark in reception as I find this is plenty for most children. This year I have one little girl who independently uses speech marks in her writing so I may have to introduce these. Good Luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)