Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What's In Your Junk Modeling Box?

Hi all, as well as my staff members tutor kicking off my debate regarding parent help at snack i have more......

According to the tutor junk modeling stuff can not contain any food packages, washing up bottles, egg boxes can be used if you can PROVE that you have microwaved them!!!

Egg boxes we do not use any way but the food packages we do, empty cereal packets, youghut pots and so on. The reason given was in case of an allergy eg food allergy, ok so should a child attend with a known food allergy or any allergy then you would not use products which trigger it off and you would adapt your setting.... This answer was wrong ...what if the child's family member has an allergy that you did not know of and the wonderful creation taken home triggers an attack at home. Hmmm.... it is fair comment and may of happened. Should we all take note and scrap the modeling for ever or hope that we have good communications with our families, hang on i have it ....

Lets create yet one more consent slip to be able to create models from cereal packets & that we will not be held responsable for any reactions caused by its creation.

I my self suffer from allergies and reactions! so please do not think that i am not taking reported allergies seroiusly.

:o What really gets me is WE ARE NEVER told these things officially,we dont use egg boxes but at no time has anyone told us we cant!!!!

i dont know what the answer is perhaps we just use other boxes like toothpaste,light bulbs etc etc I just despair sometimes after 28yrs I havent ever come accross a parent or child being effected by junk modelling most of it goes straight in the bin anyhow. xD

I dont think that microwaving egg boxes actually kills the salmonella anyway, so just as well you dont use them. :o

As to junk modelling causing reactions, I think the world of H&S is going mad.

Yes, I understand and symathise with people who have allergies whether they range from discomforture to life threatening reactions, but do we really need to be told what boxes to use?

One the one hand we are told to provide so that children can learn and develop and on the other hand we're told but you cant do this and you cant use that.

I would personally question this with the H&S exec. get any correspondence in writing, forward it to all parents along with a requiremnet that they inform you of any and all allegies known to themselves.

I'd also phone Ofsted and ask them to send you anything they might have in writing that reflects this is a nationwide requirement, and if it isnt ask why you have been singled out. :D

in the case of egg boxes this has been mentioned before ...

Egg Boxes and Toilet Rolls

It has been brought to our attention that there is some confusion as whether cardboard egg boxes and toilet roll sleeves can be used in schools. The health and safety team are led to believe that these items are not being used in some establishments because of fears over contamination and possible infection.

The Health and Safety Team at East Sussex follows CLEAPSS guidance which is stated as follows "we do not believe there is a significant problem and doubt if pupils using clean looking egg boxes or toilet roll centres will be exposed to more bacteria than in ordinary day to day living.” It is recommended that sensible precautions are taken, such as a basic visual check for contamination on the boxes or sleeves, then there is no reason why such items should not be used.

Taken from this web site

What are we to ban next... at this rate we will not be able to use anything at all.... unless we can sterilise and ensure it is free from all pollutants....

In over 20 years never had a parent say they had a problem with it.....will not be changing practice until officially confirmed in writing from someone that this is a requirement

Inge

I think that maybe the tutor is talking out of her :o Take it all with a pinch of salt and ignore! Anyone who passes on this sort of advice as fact - without actually knowing the full facts - are not meeting the needs of the students. I think she needs to be challenged and asked for the proof to back up these things. :D

thanks for your replies i am glad that others see this as i do, i will try to get some more information and research this myself then feed back to every one.

Quite agree! Junk modelling is a great activity but I don't see it as a major health risk. We use all sorts of boxes and tubes with the exception of toilet rolls.

Yup, she's a turnip!!

Ignore her - just think, she's really a funny looking root vegetable with a perennial bad hair day!!

As you may have guessed, I agree with Carol, she's talking out of her :o

Sue :D

Thanks for that Sue. Makes for interesting reading. I quite agree that the media has a lot to blame for many misconceptions - but then they're just after a good story and the truth is never as sensational. :o Regarding the loo rolls and egg boxes, I think these myths just get passed around by well meaning but unqualified people. And by qualified, I am talking about their knowledge of the risks associated with using these items, rather than their childcare qualifications. Next time someone comes into your setting and tells you something is fact, check their source and ask for the proof that this is actually the case, before changing the way that you do things. And whatever you do, never pass on something you have been told as fact, even if you think it is by a reasonable educated person, unless they have something tangible to back it up! :D

Thank you for your feed back, i shant be changing the items i put out. I think the whole thing is crazy. I'd like to meet the tutor at some point and ask some questions!! Thanks for the article may be my staff member should take it in to her tutor!!

A few years ago we had a child at Nursery who had an extreme nut allergy (5 on a scale of 5). We put in place a rigorous system with the support of the Area Health Team. we put out an old flip top bin for parents to add junk boxes to. On it we put a laminated sign saying about what boxes were acceptable and what we could not accept. Perhaps you could do something similar, maybe adding wording in more of a 'disclaimer', eg. please be aware of potential risks to family members once the model goes home..... Just a thought!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)