Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Finding A Mentor

Can anyone tell me just what being a mentor entails please and what criteria they have to meet?

Have to find one for my fd in sept and have some one in mind but need to find out more info before i ask her.Many thanks in advance :)

In my role as a mentor for a member of staff It involved been a expereinced practitioner who is willing to monitor and suport the staff member within there studies, for example validating that the work they claim to do is there own work and signing to say they are competent basically not much different to managing staff just giving extra support with studies.

i have been mentor for last 2 years, in my case we were there to support and help the student, someone to bounce ideas off, I did not have to validate work, was advised no to offer to read through assignments but if you did to be careful in what you say about it, never to imply it was good or would pass contained everything needed etc.

In addition I had to visit the setting and do an observation on her each semester, recording findings in our case on EEL style and this became part of her assignment, also had regular meetings to discuss progress, ensure she is doing the work and if any problems.

In my case I work with her so it was easy, others found it harder or more time consuming to do regular visits.

Also had to attend Mentor meetings with College for advice and help with this, very useful if they have them, met other mentors. discussed our problems with he job, easier ways to handle things etc... generally support for us . we had mentor handbooks to refer to and also given copies of all assignments so we know what was expected of them

They will need to be experience in this area and some Unis ask for a degree level for the mentor.

Different college / Uni, may have different needs and levels, we had a lot of support from the Uni, with email contact at the college if I needed it.

A rewarding job but can be time consuming. ( I got a small payment for the job)

Inge

I was mentor to my NNEB and basically had to support her study. Unlike Inge I was asked by the university to read through her assignments and help with academic writing and suggestions for further reading. The tutor from the university visited the setting and talked to me about her working practice and helped to put together a personal development programme. I had a handbook which I had to complete and think I had 2 training days and a couple of evenings when I had to go into university with other mentors.

http://www.dfes.gov.uk/research/data/uploadfiles/RR752.pdf

p45

Guest Wolfie

I'm mentor to someone where I work who's doing the Foundation Degree. I'm basically there for her whenever she needs me. Sometimes it's to talk over an assignment that she has to do - help her look for relevant reading and research, discuss what the title means, discuss how to structure the essay, etc. At other times we just have a general chat to help her relate the theory that she's covering at uni to what she does every day in her practice. And at other times, I'm there to gee her up, boost her morale and make her realise that she CAN do it and she CAN meet those deadlines!

I did have a day's training about what being a mentor involves, run by the college where she does her course - College of Food and Tourism in Birmingham - but to be honest it didn't really tell me anything that I didn't know already.

I would try and choose someone at your workplace with whom you already have a good and open relationship, someone you feel it's easy to chat to and who is a generally supportive person.

Thank you all :)

Well problem I have is that i am the manager nobody higher in my setting!!

I do have a member of staff who is a graduate and doing her eyp however but she has only been with us 2 years and to be honest im sort of her mentor (well helping her with the running of the setting etc) :o

I had hoped to ask a parent and committee member who is a reception/dep head not returned to work yet due to maternity leave but it does seem a lot of work for her doesnt it?

I presumed they would just read your assignments and perhaps help if they thought it wasnt up to scratch!

Think I will ring the uni where im thinking of applying and ask before I ask her however.

Just to let you know my mentor is my daughter's teacher at the local school, I couldn't find anyone who was willing to do it (at my setting), although I hardly every need to contact my mentor, she has early years experience and is a qualified teacher, that may give you another option, my uni were happy as long as she was qualified, I quite like the fact that it isn't someone I work with, but someone I can turn to away from work and solely to do with the course, everyone at work get's fed up everytime I mention the FD! :o

Thank you I am still inclined to go with the reception teacher/comm member tho thru speaking to her in general we have the same ideas about early years but will just check and if it is as you say

Shirel here then I will ask her.

all the managers in my area are not graduates and im not close to anyhow!

Thanks again for your help given me plenty to think about :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)