Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ongoing Stepping Stones ?

When you work out how to plan for your stepping stones do you have 'ongoing ' ones . We keep being told that we must have some that are ongoing . I would be very grateful to hear your opinions.

Hi

we have which stepping stones are to be covered in our long term plan, but i would say that the PSe ones are ongoing. if we feel that we havent totally covered a stone properly it can be added to the next theme

hope that this makes sence,

Sarah

We tend to use our planning just to give us a focus on which stepping stones we want to cover, but many are ongoing all the time, especially in PSE, physical, creative. and many activtvities will cover stepping stones that are not specifically mentioned on planning often as reinforcemenet of something previously covered.

We write this into our policies and therfore it is 'assumed' that this will be the case, without us needing to write them all out every time.

Hope that makse some sense (clear as mud to me!!)

Hi

looking at you reply Muninda i think that now i have changed all our planning and we meet every 2 weeks to plan using our foundation stage files my staff have a lot more knowledge of the ELGs and Stepping stones and although like you noting is written of ongoing stepping stones we know all the simple ones of by heart and if see them happening jot them onto a post it note!! :o

I believe all the stepping stones are ongoing. I have given up selecting particular stepping stones to aim at for any particular week or term-it just didn't tie in with the way we work. Instead we record how each child progresses towards the Early Learning goals. Stepping stones are surely only meant to be examples of how foundation stage children might progress.

Deb W

I agree with Deb W we plan and collect evidence towards the ELG, the children need to revisit each stage several times to consolidate their learning. so we treat all the stages in all areas as ongoing.

My experience and view is the same as Deb and Mimi. With the youngest 3 year olds up to rising 5's in our setting it would be inappropriate to plan to address specific stepping stones as part of our overall plan. However, we have 4 keyworker groups (by age and ability) and it is here that we might plan to cover specific stepping stones (differentiation by any other name).

Lisa

• 2 months later...

I would agree with all of the previous comments, we have ongoing PSE stepping stones (hygiene, separation, sharing etc) plus we do add our own that are specific to our surrounding. We also build on th CLL stepping stones through song and story times (build up a repertoire of songs, familar stories etc)

For example at the moment we are undergoing a period of introduction for new children and we introduce the buddy up system ( building up and maintaing relationships)

We are also undergoing a period of building works which we have linked to a stepping stone ( adjusting to surroundings, change in routines etc)

I also, as a creative person, ensure that all of the creative stepping stones are ongoing throuout the year.

(Sensory artwork, mark making experiences, 3d modelling, new and innovative methods of creating art pieces.)

I hope that this might help, I speak as someone who has embrace the FS wholeheartedly, although my staff team are not quite as positive as me.

Jan

Hi there, Jan,

Don't think we've met before - virtual hug to make up!

Interesting stuff. I'm very interested in creativity in FS - have been involved in a great project locally, more to follow hopefully.

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)