Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Toilet Access

I hate doing this but I have been asked today to be more vigilant with children accessing the toilets as in our semi open plan school some children are causing a noise issue. Children have been told repeatedly to ask but they dont so

Any easy effective ways of limiting the numbers?

I do know who it is causing the problem!!

In our older classes the children have to move their name onto the 'toilet board' before going out - velcro system - so only 2 (or however many you want) spaces - if they are full children know to wait.

Once saw a Teacher's TV programme where R children had 2 toilet teddies - these sat by the door and children knew they had to take one with them to the toilet! - again no teddy means you have to wait.

also seen this done this with necklaces/ bracelets

as before hanging by the door or in the younger group with an adult- in that case they had to ask for one so they knew who was out there.

Inge

Thanks everyone, more or less what I was thinking although I hate that regulation I shall have to give it a go. I dont think the main offenders are going to conform so that will be another issue!

I think maybe it is just the ones who you know are causing the problems should be expected to 'ask' permission and the rest of the class continue with their 'sensible' independent practice.

I don't think it is fair that others who do behave have to change their practice because of the minority. Positive behaviour management strategies for the ones who find being quiet whilst doing what comes naturally should work quite quickly especially as you say they may not follow the 'necklace' type registering attendence strategy.

Good luck.

Peggy

whilst doing what comes naturally , difficult

is what I meant to say

Peggy

I agree with Peggy I find that restricting toilet use sometimes backfires in that less confident children don't go until it's too late and we get more 'accidents'. Luckily we have our own toilet block that is easily seen from most areas of the unit so bad behaviour can quickly be delt with.

Yes I agree Marion and Peggy.

I am very reluctant to do this but not sure that I have the choice. Children have been told to ask so that I know who is where at all times but the offenders dont and they make a noise which because of the location of the toilets disturb others, and they shouldnt be a place to play.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)