Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dentists

Rea

My 14 yr old has been asking to go to the dentist for ages, but I am so scared that I keep putting it off. And anyway I dont think we've got one anymore, so...

I just looked online for dentists in my area who are taking on NHS patients. I looked at the one nearest me and read that they have an 'Anxiety management service'.

The very words made me stomach flip and a feeling like pins and needles run up my whole body. I re-read it and got the same feeling.

Now, I know I should be setting a good example but the very thought of the smell and sounds makes my blood run cold. I havent been for years, even though I know without a shadow of doubt that I need 2 fillings at the very least.

Wish me luck, because I might (might) go and register this afternoon. :o

I want to cry xD

Guest Wolfie

I do wish you luck Rea and know exactly what you're going through. I had a real phobia of dentists when I was a child, stemming from a "bad experience" and had to be given valium before I would even go anywhere near the building!

I still have to make myself make the appointment, it's too easy to put it off isn't it! But I really think you'll find that dentists have moved on a long way since the last time you went and it's generally recognised that a lot of people have a REAL problem with going at all. Having children and making sure that THEY don't grow up with the same fears as me has made me confront my phobia and do something about it, I've no doubt about that.

Go for it! Your fears really won't be realised, I'm sure. If the one you have seen offers anxiety management I would choose that one and TELL them how anxious you are.

Good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

And please don't cry - I'd come with you if I lived any nearer!

Edited by Wolfie

Well its not that bad, I hated the dentist as a child but I think I have been very lucky to find a dentsit who is kind and gentle. Thanks for reminding me I have just missed my dentist appointment. :o:D I've managed to rebook it after reading this tread.

Beth

I'd rather have Ofsted visit than go to the dentist!! bad experiences as a child put me off for life I can remeber trying to get out of the hard leather chair, my dad walking away, me shouting for him and then the gas mask and my oh my what werid dreams you have when knocked out by gas. Thank goodness things have improved.

Suffolk county council invited all providers to a dental show at our local sports center. We went and had a great time. The ladies worked hard to make it fun for the children. They even had a role play area with a pretend but child sized dentists chair, dressing up clothes and a reception for the children to explore. There was loads of fun activities for the children to do. The dental team worked really hard to keep it fun for the children, it was a postive image, not like my one i had as a child.

xD

We're all booked. April 17th :o

Hubby hasnt been for about 25 years, I havent been for about 5 yrs the lads last went at primary school.

I havent told any of them I was even thinking of doing this today!

The smell of the place was reminiscent of every nightmare Ive ever had, all neatly wrapped up in one big black bag of 'ARRRRGHHHH' and I know I heard the unmistakable whine of a drill :(

I deserve a medal....and a lie down :D

Well done Rea

It won't be as half as bad as you think.

The days of nightmare dentist I think is gone.

I still remember the Dentist caravan coming to the playground and knowing that you would have to go!!!!

Can still vividly remeber the big black mask and the smell of gas. Thank goodness those days are gone.

I quite enjoy the dentist now, they are like policemen getting younger and nicer looking xD:(:( maybe thats just me getting older and older !!!!!! or the end of a tiring day :o

Oh rea!

Youre not the only dentist hater in the world, but if you go regularly you dont usually need the onslaught of treatment that you might if you dont. Trouble is with dentists that they all like to see their own work in your mouth and unless you are in pain you are at their mercy. Its the noise that makes me most nervous and my dentist never runs to time!!

Hope all goes well.

I really don't like the dentist either. The unfortunate thing is that as I sit here at home at my laptop and look out of the window, there, directly opposite is my dentists house !! :o I see people come and go and think "poor things" - my next appointment is 10 April xD (unless of course I can think up and excuse to cancel it!!)

Sue J

I haven't been for 23 years, following an horrific incident with my last dentist.......arghhhh.......I needed a tooth sorting out about 3 years ago, and ended up having it out in hospital, pathetic really, but I too get the 'horrors' and just can't face it.My dad was exactly the same, and I have to say, was a total wuss...all 6ft 2ins of him.......he didn't go for years, and when he was in the last couple of weeks of his terminal illness, one of his teeth decided now was as good a time as any to give him a real problem...... he was in agony with it! So, we arranged for the dentist from the hospital to come to the house as he was too ill to leave his room.She was probably one of the kindest, gentlest folk I have ever met.Dad was in tears through pain and fear, and she used NO anaesthetic, gave him a temporary filling and eased his pain.She promised to come back 'when he was feeling up to it',Sadly, he died a few days later,but out of pain from the tooth and able to eat a little again.I still can't face the dentist, but that was alovely memory.She telephoned me a few months later, to ask how dad was...........and was so embarrassed when I said he'd passed away, she just thought he must need a newer temporary filling by then and of course, no-one had thought to let her know he had died.We DID end up having a bit of a laugh over it,Dad would have laughed himself,so it was ok.She even asked if I would like a visit.........I won't tell you my response, but we did have a laugh!

I hate going to the dentist too but I hate toothache even more and after having the most awful pain following an abcess some years ago, I now make sure I have regular appointments. Well OK, once a year. Although have been twice since September which cost be £40 odd pounds each time!! I also make the sure the children go regularly too which is almost worse for me! My daughter had such bad teeth as a toddler (inherited from my husband's side!) and I used to feel so guilty about it but the dentist told me it wasn't decay it was poor teeth. All the more reason to go regularly and I have done so.

You've done the hardest thing and made the appointment. You will be fine, as everyone has said dentists have improved somewhat.

You are an encouraging bunch. Thank you :D

But it wont work. I'll still dread the day, hate the smell, loath the sound and as for having a good looking dentist, ours is a woman, so there goes that party bag! xD:o

Well done Rea, you have bravely made the first step. I'm off to the dentist this afternoon to get a bite guard, ( no not because I bit a child back to teach him not to bite his friends :( ).

I am ok with dentists, I have even been known to nearly fall asleep whilst having a root extraction, it took so long. I basically focus on relaxing my whole body whilst laying down, start at the toes, tense then relax, then work up through the whole body, by the time you've got to your head the dentist will have finished.

My fear is the cost having just paid out £550 for a new bridge. :(:( What I don't understand is that my mother in law just got a whole new top and bottom set of teeth for £400 xD How come my 3 teeth cost more??????

Hence the bite guard, apparently my bite is so tight I need to wear a guard at night to stop my bottom teeth pushing my new top teeth bridge forward :o

I too remember childhood dentist, first having to swallow a disgusting tasting pre-med, then gas as they extracted all my lower back teeth at the age of 12 yrs. Don't even remember having tooth ache so don't know why they were taken out. On waking from the gas I couldn't get off the chair and seriously believed that I was crippled for life as they put me in a wheelchair to get me to the anti room to swill out my mouth. (UGH)

but you don't want to hear that do you Rea. Just tell yourself, nothing will be done on the first visit, just looking, no treatment. Then see about arranging the re-mortgage :wacko:

Peggy

• 4 weeks later...

I went.

Richard, who rarely, if ever brushes his teeth, was told he has lovely teeth and should be proud of them although she did pick up on him needing to brush better. :)

I, who brush twice a day and sometimes more, and spend ages on it, getting every surface, have to go back for a filling and 2, yes 2, extractions. :(

Now how the bloody heck is that fair :o

Sam said he couldnt come because he had to go to college, fair enough but I'm suspicious xD

Graham had a very important meeting that he simply had to go to. Suspicion here is 100% doubt that he would ever have come. Big chicken :(

The dentist was lovely though. Thanks for all your encouragement:D :D

Peggy, no mortgage necessary. We dont pay at present :D

Well done Rea!

Had to take 2 of mine for a check up over half term, having forced myself to make the appointment. I was nearly as nervous as they were.

Middle son who has lovely teeth and takes the least care of them usually gets away with no treatment but has to go back for a filling this time - won't look forward to that at Whitsun.

Still better than having toothache!

Well done Rea but bad news about the teeth. Unfortunately the strength of our teeth are predetermined and regular brushing doesn't always make up for this. I have lovely strong teeth and thankfully my children take after me, but my husband and all his family have endless teeth problems. (And I can vouch for the fact he brushes regularly. :o )

• 1 month later...

I DID IT. Teeth are gone. Less than 2 minutes. And what a horrible pair of things they were too :o

I'm in great need of a present for bravery.

But I was feeling so flumaxed I walked out without paying or making another appontment so I'll have to go back tomorrow to sort it out.

All congratulations and plaudits welcome :(xD:(

Well done Rea, there's nothing worse than having toothache, even having teeth out is better, well done for having the courage to go through with it.

This 'sticker'

(use your imaginations)

is awarded to Rea

for being brave at the dentist!

Guest MaryEMac

Well done Rea, shouldn't be so bad next time.

I was brave 3 weeks ago when I had 3 fillings with no anaesthetic. My dentist is very good but unfortunately she is leaving and I don't know who will take her place. That will be another adventure. :o

Mary

Guest Wolfie

Well done Rea, I know what you went through because I had a tooth out about 6 months ago! The worst bit is trying to stop your tongue from exploring the hole left behind...ti's so tempting isn't it! Just a word of advice - the wound does take a long time to heal, don't worry if it doesn't seem to be getting better, it is! Mine took about six weeks...you just have to be patient!!

Well done! :o