Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Focus Activity

Can anyone help? The supervisor has changed the way the focus activities are done! We have a planning meeting tomorrow night and I only got the sheet yesterday

I have to do a focus activity of 'showing awareness of symmetry'. Its completely uninspired me! I am used to choosing the areas of learning/learning intentions etc and to be given a specific has thrown my creativity out the window!!! aaahhhhhhhhh

Could you give the children pictures to complete e.g. half a butterfly/cat/snowman/hat etc? They could use a range of media eg paint/pencil/felt tip/ playdough.

Guest Wolfie

How about something to do with butterflies or ladybirds - there are lots of symmetrical patterns in nature once you get thinking? Maybe you could go on a walk looking for examples all around you?

Or an activity involving mirrors where you put the mirror on the middle line of something and see its reflection. I don't think I've explained that very clearly, hope you know what I mean!! :o

Load a piece of string with paint.

Place on one side of a folded piece of paper and refold.

Pull string through and out.

Repeat with another colour if required.

Patterns are symmetrical and children should be able to see that both sides are the same.

Some really good ideas above. You could also give them objects for pattern making like small shapes, lollipop sticks etc. and demonstrate for them making a simple pattern and then copying in on the other side, could just be random and copied or like a butterfly,a flower with stem and petals, a face, half a house etc. Then see if they can make their own. The awareness will show if they make a relevant comment about it, or demonstrate by making a good attempt rather than a random pattern.

I kmow what you mean with the mirrors wolfie. I remember being at school and putting a mirror along a picture of a face, it wasnt symetrical at all, although it had 2 eyes, 2 cheeks. It was very odd. :o

The most fun we had with this subject was face painting :D Paint one side and the child completes the other.

Also if yo have a program such as colour magic on your PC this has a symmetry button so whatever the children draw the pc copies it on the other side of the page.

Also if you have 2 Simple Paint and go into the 2Publish there is a symmetry option in there.

And Sparklebox has some symmetry sheets for use with a mirror (I don't know if there is any charge for these)

Sue

Depending on the age of your children I saw an amazing display where a photo had been taken of each child. It was printed off, cut in half and stuck on a large piece of paper. The child had then to complete the picture of their face.....

Also, what about preparatory work about things that don't match, making it into a big game 'no of course that's not right' - lots of fun and laughter to emphasise it doesn't match, talking about matching, then, once they have the idea, talk about symmetry. I would think this is probably a Reception subject.........

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)