Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Castles, E.t.c.!

hi all! can anyone give me some ideas on a 'castles' topic, hoping to do this after easter, but mind's gone blank even thinking about it! :o

We have been learning about Castles recently due to the children's interests in construction and dragons. :D We made a large castle for the role play area with a banqueting hall, parents bought in knights, horses and dragons for small world play, we also made a very large dragon from boxes which went down well. Other ideas are kings/queens, heraldry, shields and swords, flags, link to traditional stories such as Jack and the Beanstalk. Hope this helps. :)

We did a whole school topic on Make Believe before Christmas and as part of it we hired a massive foam block castle that we stored in the hall and the children had great fun building into an almost life-sized castle. The 'bricks' were different sizes and shapes: turrets etc. and wonderful fun was had by all. It cost about £200, I think for that time, but the children learned such a lot from it that I would recommend it, if more than one year group is using it and you have acces to any funds-highly unlikely, I know!!

You could have a castles day towards the end of the topic. The children and staff come dressed as anything to do with castles (knights, kings, princesses, dragons the usual!). Your activities could all be castle or 'c' based.

You could link the castles with medieval times and have some food tasting, medieval music etc.

You could make a castle cake (Not too difficult, I've a recipe somewhere, give me a few mins and I'll post it)

Hmm, brain not offering much else at the moment - sorry!

Lucy x

Here we go. Have to admit to photographing the pages from the book :o Sorry Usborne

The quality isn't great so if you can't read the writing let me know and I'll email you a typed copy!

Lucy x

edit: attachments removed by FSF moderator - see post below

Guest Wolfie

There's a story called "Shhh!" by Sally Grindley that has been raved about by lots of people on this forum - it's set inside a giant's castle and has lots of flaps for child participation. I haven't used it yet but it looks great and would fit in well with this topic.

Sorry Fluff, your attachments seem to be a direct breach of copyright, and we have had to remove them. Please remember that the FSF can be held responsible for such copyright infringement. :)

I found a fab game to play which was castle themed, it is on the playmobil UK site.

http://www.playmobil.de/on/demandware.stor...d=SCREEN_GAME09

It takes a while to load up but when it does it is well worth it! The boys especially will absolutely love it! There are parts of a story in between each level and so there is quite a lot to learn about as you go through it. Lots to see about how a castle defneds and can be attacked!

Hope it helps you!

We have built a castle outdoors using large cardboard boxes (new PCs came in them) and have hobby horses which the children love. We did things like who can build the tallest tower?

Also built castles in the block play area which the children have drawn plans for and built.

We have a wooden castle and figures which I think came from ELC in the small world area

How about the giants castle from Jack and the beanstalk?

Also use different shapes to make a plan for a castle (cut out and stuck down) do they know that names of the shapes?

Our Y1 class made the pink castle from Balamory.

Don't suppose you could run to hiring a bouncy castle? We usually do this in the summer term.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)