Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unit On Fire

Had a phone call today to say school was on fire. I got there to find flames coming out of the roof. An electrical fire. The unit is waterlogged and the end of the building will have to be demolished. Its not the resources we can buy them again but all those things we can't get agian the photos, the kids work, the fish! I never imagined this would happen and now its all gone.

We are thinking about buildings not used in the area. From Y2 up it looks ok but the unit and upper part of the school will need rebuilding. We are going to have a look around on Monday. I surpose we need to thank our lucky stars it happen on a saturday.

Oh Gillie im so sorry to hear your news yes it is a small blessing that it was a saturday but it is still awful it makes you realise how much we take for granted

I hope you manage to get some rest over this weekend so that you can tackle this problem with a clear head on Monday I can imagine there will be alot to arrange

get some rest!!

Oh gosh, sorry to hear your bad news. I do hope things can get sorted soon. What a shame about all the kid's work and records etc.

That is terrible news! I do hope you can all get it sorted. I agree it's a shame about the children's work etc, but at least no-one was hurt. Thinking of you.

Guest Wolfie

I'm so sorry, what terrible news- but as someone elase has laready said, at least no-one was hurt, so that is one thing to be thankful for.

I echo all that has been said, thinking of you and hoping that the initial shock and dismay will soon pass. It is at times like this the community will all pull together and develop strong bonds as you all work towards getting things sorted.

Peggy

I am so sorry to hear your news. Don't worry im sure things will turn out ok. Think of it as a fresh start eventually you will be able to give the place a fresh lick of paint and make even better display boards to show off hteir new look. A nursery near me had the same problem and they found great support in the parents and community. good luck thinking of you

Hi Gillie

so sorry to hear your news - don't think any of us can imagine what it truly be like to get that phone call.

But there is light at the end - this time last year my nursery and reception classes moved out of our early years building for 2-3 days heating repairs and set up temporary bases in the school hall and ICT suite. The 3 days turned into a term during which we couldn't access any of our resources and we lost everything from our reception class due to an asbestos incident.

Our parents were so supportive - we had loads of donations of resources to keep us going.

One year on we can look back and laugh about it - we did have fun in our temporary base making great use of very limited resources. The refit was hardwork but reception have benefitted from a brand new classroom.

Thinking of you.

nsunshine

All my love and hugs to you all. I can begin to empathise, I think, as several years ago my husband's workplace burnt to the ground (a Printer's, so lots of highly flammable material, fortunately no one hurt)

I'm sure things will be ok in the end, but it's going to be such a shock for the children.

Sue

Guest sqpeg

oh thats sad,

a lot to organise now,

wishing you a clear head as things unfold; sending a virtual hug. Sqpeg

Just to add that I'm thinking of you, the children and their families.

I'm now a strong believer in fate after some personal things that have happened to me, and whilst I wouldn't wish any bad luck on anyone, things always seem to end up being more positive in the long run.

Stay positive.

this is like every ones worse dream coming true. its the little things that will be missed most of all like drawings tucked away, models in the making and unfinished work.

Thinking of you all.

So sorry to hear your sad news.

We had a flood in our Nursery during one summer holiday, we came back to mold and fungus over everything, it was like a different planet. We had to work in a small room for a term. It was nice to get back to a newly decorated room but very hard to see everything we had worked on thrown away.

I know this is nowhere near as devastating as your situation, but everything turned out ok in the end. I will be thinking of you all.

Thanks to you all for your good wishes. I have not slept much my mind is too busy and I can't seem to switch off. One parent gave me a big hug and said I know it’s your second home and the kids are like your family, it’s so true. I am feeling positive about things hey we can have lovely new things but at the same time I keep remembering things that are possibly gone, things we can't replace. We will move on but I think we also need time to greave, how strange I don't suppose other professions would feel the same

Hi Gillie,

I know of a school local to me that burnt down last year. The school is still working out of porta cabins and is reluctant to order furniture etc in case it dosent suit/fit the new build scheduled for 2008. I know the staff received councelling etc and they were able to loan resources from local early years units as they lost everything like yourselves. I am sure they would be able to advise you in any area they could as they are a lovely staff. If this is something you would like to do let me know and I will send you their details.

best wishes for the future:)

It is a very strange feeling. We had a fire last summer which meant that my class of R/Y1 children's records/photos and loads of equipment hadto be replaced (laptops, interactive whiteboard too). even things like homemade games. Everything except for big pieces if furniture were skipped- it was criminal really, even trays full of plastic unifix cubes, etc that wee just a bit smoke damaged. It was a long process. we had to catalogue most things that were recognisable and then spend hours reodering. It looks really good now, and we have some wonderful resources. I found that I had to detach myself as much as possible, and remind myself that they were just things, and that nobody had been injured. Youe are rght, there are things (resurce wise) that can't be replaced, so we replaced with alternatives. The big thing is photos and records. We had saved Y1 reports from last year so could print those out, but we couldn't do anythiing about the photos.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)