Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Willow Structures

We are making one soon and would love some information and tips. Maybe a variation to design.

I hop to build it with the children in a boggy part of the garden

Hi sunshine -

I am going to move this into the nursery settings general issues forum where I feel it will get a better response. Hope that's ok.

Linda

Thats lovely Marion I would love one as we have a really large outdoor area. Does anyone know roughly how much they cost

post-3991-1173552476_thumb.jpgHallo everyone

we have just worked with an artist who made an inside den with the kids

she made a dome like shape with windows and a door - obviously!

then we wove different colour ribbons in and out

we can move it around the unit as well

she then came back and built an outside one with older children because she said that planting would be hard

I will try to add a photo but not sure I can

Jo

OH DEAR

Not only can I add a picture now BUT I can add it twice!!!

Jo

post-3991-1173552562_thumb.jpg

Funnily enough we saw some living willow for sale in Lewes today. It was sprouting and apparently ready to be planted (just by being pushed 6" into soil. They came in bundles of about half a dozen and I think each bundle cost about £8 or so. Don't know if that helps. I was sorely tempted to have a bash, but I thought I'd try to find a bit of space in the garden first! :)

I'm going to have a go at building one from a kit next week.

Just got out my clay and grass type sticks to have a go.

I'll let you know how I get on!! :o

Thanks for the link Marion i will defo be in touch. We got £200 donated off our local Parish Council to go in our outdoor development fund so it would be good to show them what we spent it on.

:D Thanks to you all

I cant wait to get started

I think i prefer the artist rather than trying on my own even though i really enjoy a spot in the garden.

JosieBrad love your indoor den. Did the artist use willow withies to construct it, or another material? Also what was used to fasten it all together? I would love to have a go at making one of these with the kids!

AOB

We have masses of willows in our garden Steve. You're quite welcome to take as much as you like for free. Of course, there's the small matter of the 600 mile drive........ :o

I've always said I would try making one myself in the garden - maybe I'll do that soon. :)

Sounds good Carol. I'll have a think about it! :)

As a matter of interest, can you take the willow from any part of the tree if you wanted to build a living structure? Just stick them in the ground and they root?

We got ours originally from a friend. They grow very tall and have shallow roots so you need to cut the tops off every now and then to stop them falling over. We got loads of 'tops' which were about 6-8 foot and then cut each down to 2-3 foot and stuck them in the ground. They need to be watered well but ours are growing next to the burn so get plenty of water. :)

Hi Steve

Can you tell me where in Lewes your saw the willow I have to go that way this week

Thanks

Sharon

Mean't to mention this website

www.willowdomes.com

I asked them a few questions by email and they were really helpful

Hi

The artist described it as willow but said that it was different to the willow that she would plant outside, which is living willow!!!

As for fastening together I think she just sort of wove it together - sorry but I'll have a closer look tomorrow. It is lovely cos we just move it around - inside outside wherever we want it. And we just repair it as we go along.

Jo

Hi

We too are hoping to make our own living willow structure with the children and parents in our garden. The intention is to gather our own willow from an existing tree we have in the grounds. I understand that it's getting a little late in the year to do this, planting when dormant in February would hve been better, but going to give it a try anyway = the feeling being that we will have fun in the attempt whether successful or not! xD

I read that you need to use 2 year old growth for the supporting part of the structure and then 1 year old growth for weaving to 'build up' the density of the structure. And we'll 'stick it in' 6" deep as per Steve's advice, and just keep everything crossed :o

Apparently, willow is pretty tolerent of most soil types, prefering to be near water if possible though.

I'll let you know how we get on and try to post pictures (although haven't attached anything before)

And why not Steve amongst your many talents!

I think willow is pretty resilient once it gets going and jusr grows and grows. I nearly bought one of these for my garden as I think they are fantastic. After all my grandchildren could play in it. Hubby put his foot down because of mowing the lawn- 'what lawn?' is what I say it is all moss and weeds!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)