Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ok Please Be Honest

Foundation Degree - here's the situation - me - not studied properly since doing NNEB mmmmmmmmmmm yrs ago. 3 children, and a mum (81) and 2 in laws to look after/keep an eye on - what do you think? Could only consider OU route if at all?

Currently love my job and hours in Pre School as supervisor - really great team and flexible. Been there for 10 years.

Honesty much appreciated - is it all worth it ( Fdegree)

The fact that your considering it at all obviously shows that you're interested in it.!!

As long as you feel that you've got enough time forit then go for it! You've obviously got a wealth of experinece to offer.

x

If I was your age, I would go for it. I know you have other commitments, but if people understand how much it means to you and give you the support and space you need (deserve!), then you'll be OK.

Good luck, whatever - keep us informed!

Sue

HI

OK honesty here I come! Within a few weeks I will be 52 and have just finished the FD with the OU. It has taken me four years of part time study and yes it was worth it :D

I have an NNEB from 1974!!! Never worked anywhere else but within the field of chidcare/education. I thought long and hard about whether to commence study at all, not least because I had not so much as written an essay for almost 30 years :o I think it is a question of why you want/are considering doing it. Without wishing to sound selfish I 'did it for me' if that makes sense!

I think it is one of those situations where if you decide not to go ahead, you will wonder from time to time, 'what if' and the beauty of the OU is that you do the FD course by course and should you decide at any point not to go all the way to FD level you have valuable study under your belt.

THe first two courses (E123, E124) result in the Certificate of Early Years Practice so you could stop at that point with a level four qualification gained.

Apart from the knowledge gained and the qualification itself my experience of the OU has brought a dimension I had not thought of prior to my study.

I have met ( some face to face and some in online conferencing) a wide range of practitioners

and have made friends that I am keeping in touch with now the studying has ended.

I also know that the OU are particularly good at supporting students when difficulties arise - there is the obvious academic support but also for personal circumstances, which we all know can change at the drop of a hat.

I 'lost the plot' briefly towards the end of last year when I had a breast cancer scare, my study went out the window but thanks to the support of fellow students and my tutor I got back on track, caught up and completed the degree last month.

I can't put in to words the feeling of satisfaction that resulted when I posted my final examinable component a few weeks ago :D I just have to wait until April for the final results xD

From my experience I would say go for it - do let us know what you decide and if you choose to go ahead with the OU you know where I am if you need a hand any time at all :D

i am coming to the end of my FD at college one afternoon/evening per week, family, elderly nan to look after and supervisor of a pre school... it is hard work, but totally worth it, gratifying, and a real sense of achievement ...wouldnt have missed it for the world and onced finished will miss the company of college days!!!!! :D

...go for it, you will not regret it :D

thanks guys, this is a question I've been pondering over since completing my NVQ3 some while ago.I'm in my 50's and was wondering if it was 'worth it' but really, when it comes down to it, i'd be doing it 'for me', so, I think a call to my local college and the OU on Monday!

It's great to read all these replies, i've been considering doing this from september 07, I can do it at my local college from 1-8pm on a Thursday (part time) plus friday pm (full time), i've been pondering for ages - reading these replies have made me think maybe i should go for it.

Good luck with whatever you decide myhenroxanne

I am taking on the challenge of OU foundation degree and like you, had to consider lots of different reasons why I should put myself through this! Now, nearly halfway through some of the negatives still crop up. Too little time to do the course work/assignments and too much else to do. I hope and firmly believe that it will all be worth it in the end.

E123 and E124 as a level 4 unit were hard, as I chose to complete both within Feb - Oct of the same year but as a level 4 worth every late night and early morning!

Next course was neccessary but not nice and the rest have been enlightening. Hope I have encouraged you,as in hindsight, I would no regrets, but do wish I had given myself more time as I feel extremely pressured at times.

Go for it

Lu

Hi Lu and welcome to the forum! I completely agree you with in that at times the workload is sooooo demanding and you often reach the point where you are questioning why you even started it in the first place, but then there are other days when you can't believe you put it off for so long.

I am at the point now where I am finding it hard to muddle through this latest module but with the deadline for the second coursework part set for the 27th of this month, I am looking forward to the end of it to then be able to move onto something else (which will be Child Protection, so not brilliant, but just different from learning about play).

There are times when I think to myself how much I love college and the sense of achievement each time a module goes through successfully. I am proud I have made it to half way through year one and although I have other things going on professionally at the moment, I can't really envisage me giving the second year a miss.

I agree though, you should do what suits you and what feels right to you. Good luck with your decisions!

Thanks everyone for being so honest - If I decide to do it - it will be 'just for me', I think I'll have a chat with my hubby in a bit more depth. Did you get the funding from your LEA to cover the cost?

I keep questioning whether I should be doing the FD but at the same time when I go into college I am inspired and love the study, it has become MY thing.

I have five children, three ponies, 2 dogs, a needy/unhealthy mum, :o but a very loving husband, I must admit I struggle sometimes - like now, I havent studied for days and days but you know you find the time somehow and it is such a sense of achievement, and I agree with Hali the college days are great, I have friends! Not that I am billy-no-mates but it is different from work and everyone doing my course has so many commitments so we all moan together, empathise and support each other oh and have lunch together which is really nice. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)