Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Testing Electrical Items

Hi all

Does anyone have any idea how much their setting gets charged to do an annual check on electrical items and to place the relevant safety sticker on each item?

We dont have too many electrical items, but our landlord is asking their electrican to invoice us directly and I would like to have a ball park figure beforehand. I think you usually get charged a set fee per item.

Many thanks for any help

Hmm. Surely as long as they're appropriately certificated you should be able to get any electrician to give you a quote and do the work. Seems a bit high handed to send his own electrician round without any contact with you. You don't really have any control over the price that way, do you?

At the very least I think you ought to be able to ask the landlord to give you his electrician's details and ask for his price before he attends - of course, he might well be very reasonable, but you probably want to know in advance, don't you? :o

This is PAT testing, isn't it??I am in the very fortunate position of not having to pay for this,as my daughter went on a course (paid for by her firm!) to gain the qualification for it, so she does mine for me,FOC of course!I can also call on the services of a lovely guy from a local recording studio and he also refuses payment.........

Hi

Yes as far as I am aware it is PAT testing.

I would not agree to have the work done without getting a price from the electrician first. But I think that when someone uses the same person for years on end they can get complacent and charge what they like without question. I am not saying this is the case, but it is a possibility.

We have forced the issue for them to get their own electrical equipment tested (cooker, kettle etc and the boiler serviced) and therefore the electrician is being called in for that.

I was just wondering if anyone could advise me on the cost before agreeing to or declining their services.

Thanks everyone.

Not an expert here but some electricians charge by the hour and tend to be cheaper and some by the number of items. you need to do one of these every 12 months to be legal so get quotes. In my experience it is cheaper if they charge by the hour. Get everything ready before hand so that all they have to do is check and not walk around looking for portable electrical items.

The place we use charges a standard rate for a certain amount of items and then so much per item after that. I know last year I paid £43 and we have quite a few items. Any equipment less than 12 months old doesn't neeed testing.

Linda

Our scouts (landlords) did the same, booked the PAT tester. We were charged pro rata, ie: if there were 20 items in total and we had 5 items then we would be charged a quarter of total bill. Our last one equated to about 40p per item.

I think I will change this next year as most of our stuff is renewed quite often, ie: kettle, toaster etc, therefore we are paying for the call out. I think there is an option to take items to an electritian / shop. Obviously depends how many items need checking.

Doh, just realised my son is currently doing an electricians course so maybe he can do mine in the future too :D

let us know how yours goes and how much you pay.

Peggy

Hi,

I am also very lucky as the upper school we are based in does ours annually and charges us £20, regardless of how many items.

For an electrician to do this they have to be PAT registered to be able to legally check it and leave a safety sticker.

It shouldn't take long, we have about 25 electrical appliances and this normally takes half hour.

Net x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)