Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Food Purchased For Snack-time

we do, part of the overall provision of care, never heard anyone say not to, not one of the many conditions set down, but there is one in this area about having to provide everything for the care of the child during their time with us, not asking for any extra money to cover anything, so I would argue it comes under this condition.

but as we all know each area is different!

but our parents do voluntarily provide fruit at the moment as we are struggling with cash flow a bit, numbers down but on the up.

Inge

HUH!!! the milk scheme forgets us though! I have been trying, repeatedly, for over 3 years, to get us signed up for the milk scheme.............I have sent countless copies of our registration documents, several times by recorded delivery, to ensure they have been recieved.I have had countless telephone conversations with staff there and have even put in TWO formal complaints, one of which resulted in a call from their head honcho, formally apologising and assuring me that he "had personally inputted our data so we were now on file and could forward a claim for the last two years.........." they can't backdate it further than that apparantly........so, forms duly completed, and we sat back and waited for the money to come through.............and we waited, and waited and waited.This week, we have received a phone call from a new unit, asking us if we "think we are registered"............because, it seems, we AREN'T!!! I could scream and now have to go through this whole ridiculous rigmarole again................I despair, I really do!

Hi bubblejack

Why do you feel you may not be able to use the grant for snack? Surely this is part and parcel of their time with you so whatever you use the money for as long as it supports the curriculum, which snack time certainly does, you can use it. I know a lot of the local authority nurseries in our area ask for school funds on a weekly basis to pay for baking and snacks. I don't know why they do this, perhaps as a fund raiser, but we have never been told that we can't use NEG for snacks.

Linda

Hi bubblejack

This is the same in Stockport-most nurseries and nursery classes within schools have a school fund of £1 a weekwhich is for snack and other extras but I do think that it should be coming out of the funding they receive.

I did consider charging those children who are funded for snack but then I thought where is the "free" nursery place if I did. I know that not all parents can afford even £1 a week so it would not be fair.

Linda

I'm in a DN now, so the situation is different, but when I was in a pre-school we never charged for snack, it was just included in fees and as such we also used NEG for it, I suppose.

As Linda says, it is all part and parcel of the package and I really don't see a problem. Or am I being naive??

Sue

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. After "new parents" made these comments I thought it best to check it out on here. I am sure that previously I read/was told that I couldn't do this but I chose to ignore it because I felt it unfair to start charging.

HI,

You can only charge for snack funded children if they are attending over the 5 sessions and only the sessions over those 5 can be charged for.

eg

Funded child 7 sessions. the five funded sessions do not get chrged for snack as covered in the NEG. The remainder 2 sessions I charge 30p per session.

A funded parent is not allowed to pay out for anything within the 5 funded sessions - 12 1/2hrs. Whether it be parent help, snack, resources etc.

If they wish to make a 'voluntary donation' that is allowed.

Hope that makes some sense.

Net x

Hi Net

Does this apply to school nurseries also? It's just that here in Stockport some of the LEA nurseries ask parents for school funds each week. I would assume that it is voluntary so could we not do the same? Not that I am going to as I still feel it means that it isn't a free place.

Linda

Hi Linda,

Sorry I should have specified I was talking about pre School. I'm don't know about school nurseries. I would have thought it would have been the same but not sure.

An interesting one if they can charge though.

Net x

we are a committee run pre-school and each funded parents is asked once every full term to bring in provisions such as toilet rolls,tissues,snack such as bread,crackers etc but not fruit this is suppled from neg funds.99% of parents are only to glad to help the other few we do not chase up as it is voluntary as linda says :)

At the risk of being shot down - we charge 15 p per child per session for snack. We are a committee run pre-school. I understand that we can charge for additional services provided that the charges are transparent, which they are.

how i look at is that leaves more of the neg fund to spent on resources :) But as long as your parents are happy I dont think there is any correct way to do as long as your not breaking any rules and as we know each local authority has a different set of rules so there you go :)

Hi,

I am sure it states something about it in the NEG code of practice. Can't quite get my hands on mine at the mo (misplaced it) but if anyone has one i'm sure it states something along the lines of parents shouldn't pay for anything blah blah blah.

I don't think its fair as we used to charge £1 per week and was told by our CDW and Ofsted inspector that it is a major no-no.

Net x

it does state that but if you ask as voluntary contribution and not insist that is Ok. hence donations of fruit veg etc. for snack or donations of money each week, so long as it is clear that it is voluntary and no comeback if they decide not to contribute.

to be honest I have no idea who gives us the fruit and veg each week, just that we always have a constant supply!!! decided on this rather than money donation as it saves us time going to buy it!!

hey a double benefit!!

Inge

Perhaps we will be recieving all sorts of voluntary contributions in the future when full NEG funding kicks in - voluntary contributions/donations of paint/paper/toys/equipment etc - this has to be the way forward - just like schools and their PTA's - this must be the way around it - perhaps we could have sponsor a practitioner week to help with the salaries or sponsor a child to stay at home so we can reduce staff numbers for that day!!!

Only joking but where there's a will there's a way - although I appreciate that in some areas where parents cannot afford to do this this could not work but in other areas it would where parents are willing to pay for a service. It all seems so mad to me.

Nikki

we charge £1 per week regardless of sessions taken, this is for snack bar and the children have a choice every day of fruit/veg, dairy and a carb. e.g. mon:grapes, cheese, pitta bread tues; choice of rice crispies or weetabix, apple and small fromage frais, wed: wholemeal bread, soft cheese (philidelphia, they spread themselves) and plum etc. etc. we sent out a letter asking parents if they minded paying for our healthy snack option and they ticked the no box and most added comments about how fantastic they thought it is x