Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Training

:o can any one help i have lately had a couple of new staff start in our preschool and although they seemed to have good knowlegde of the foundation stage i have found they struggle to interact. Would any one have any ideas of prompt cards etc to help them along a little.

thanks

daisy

These might be helpful... some have language prompts on them (I might even amend all of them to have prompts on as I think that this would be a useful addition!)

Activity cards

They are not linked to the foundation stage, but you could use these as a basis for an activity and focus on a Stepping Stone/ELG.

Another idea would be to include vocabulary on your planning (if you have continuous provision planning displayed in each area, this is easy to implement) or you could have posters in each area with words and phrases - in the water area you could have float/sink, splash, full/empty, "can you fill..." "does a stone float?" etc

I used to include a box for vocabulary to be used and other ideas on my focused planning sheets. Initially it was for parents benefit when they helped out but I did find it helped staff too.

For painting on easles - Talk about the colours used, shapes made etc. Use language to describe the paint i.e. drippy, splodge, wet, mix. Talk to them about their picture - I like the way this line goes to the top, these colours have mixed can you see whats happened, you have made a swirly pattern, the paint is running down the paper.

I dont understand people who dont talk about the childrens work with them, it's what we're there for :D

Good luck :D

Guest Wolfie

If you do a forum search under"continuous provision" you should come across quite a few downloads that should help you with some prompt cards, in addition to the excellent ones from Running Bunny.

I know that PLA does a set of cards to use as prompts but the areas that they have don't always correspond to what you've got in YOUR setting. I think Nursery World do a set of posters as well for each area....but both of those cost money! I think you'll find that the ones on here are as good/better than anything commercially produced!

Edited by Wolfie

Rea, my bug bear are people who sit with the children but then talk to each other and not the children!

Karrie

Umm I hope I don't do that. If I did I would hope someone would tell me, but again I have seen this soo many time in practice. :o

Dizzy Daisy and a big welcome from me too! :D

Beth

The prompt cards are ok if they read them :o

Role model interaction and do formal written peer observations ( they observe you as well as you observe them)

constructive feedback soon after. :D

Peggy

we were advised to put prompts up on the wall in speech bubbles to remind everyone the sort of thing they should or could be asking...changing them and moving them regularly helps too.

also works wonders with students , they use them and gain confidence in speaking to the children

of course only works if you can leave up displays.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)