Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Emergent Writing

Hi Everyone,

Could you give me some advice please? The teacher in the nursery i work at has asked me if i could ask you all :D what writing style is now taught in schools, the teacher has a parent who has asked her to teach a child to write her name, the child has emergent writing and is aware of the letter sounds of the alphabet. The child has started to write her name, but the teacher wants to know is cursive writing still taught in primary schools. She also would like to know, if you are teaching a child to write a capital 'A' would you do it as the computer does with a point at the top or with a round at the top, hope this makes sense, we had such a discussion about this today.

Thank you

Rosepetal :)

most of the schools in our area are switching over to cursive script, which they say is 'easier for the children to learn and looks neater in display work'.......................personally, I'm not a fan, and was a bit cross that the first we heard of it was when I went in for a chat about the children due to start school this year and the teacher said that NONE of the children who started with her in September (from several feeder groups) could write their names'properly'.i.e, cursive.!!!

we find the best way is to ask the school the child will be moving on to what they do, then if ready we can start the child in the same way, saves a lot of unlearning for them when they start school.

we feed several schools and all are different!! most will help us in this as it is better for the child

you are lucky to have a parent to ask your help, most of ours just teach them themselves IN CAPITALS!!

Inge

The schools in our area tend to use cursive writing. It's quite easy for the kids to follow and does make their work alot neater for when they get to Junior school :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)