Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Animal Policy

We are getting a rabbit for the nursery but before we do I need to write an 'animal' policy.

Does anybody have one I could take a look at.

I have informed parents that we are getting a rabbit, asking for their permission for handling the rabbit by their children etc.

should I be doing anything else?

hi

We put together a brief information sheet about what contact the children would be ahving and how this would help develop and nurture skillls and explained procedure for hygiene we would take and got parents to sign to say this was ok just to warn you we had to be careful with the hay as a child with a peanut alergy had areaction as this was in contact with peanut oil in the growing and we had to monitor our asthmaatic children. Hope this helps

• 2 weeks later...

You might want to be careful of children with asthma and exzema too. My son had a really horrible reaction to a neighbours rabbit, but was fine with their cat and our cats. :)

Consider also a risk assessment to go with your policy. Actions to take in the event of a bite / scratch, even a disclaimer for if a child does get bitten (?)

Before I would consider having a 'pet' at preschool I would look up info on the animal and it's care and not just depend on what I think I know, a good pet book would inform of most things tp consider.

Peggy

just thought...not being pessimistic but also discuss with staff what explanations would be given to children in the event of death, fact or beliefs, ie gone to heaven. This would need to be agreed, and best discussed before the event.

Peggy

sorry :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)