Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Childminders And Users Of Childminders

I haven't put my fees up since 2004 and have realised that I am charging much less than anyone else in my area now! I know it doesn't count in the CM world but I have over 20 years experience in childcare and am level 5 and feel a bit put out that new mums with no experience are getting more than me! Well at least I'm honest!!

I know our preschool wages increase by 2.5% each year but it harldy seems worth it on the amount I charge in fees!

Just wondered how others did it....

I am a childminder in Cambridgeshire too. I set my price by working out my costs and how much I expect to earn when I first started. I also checked what others were charging including the local nurseries as we offer a much better ratio 1:3 than their 1:8 for 3 and 4 year olds.

I use NCMA contracts with have an annual review date. I usually put my fees up by 5% each year, no parents have ever complained about this so far.

I think if we do not value our service, no one else will.

Good Luck in putting up your fees.

I'm not a childminder but used to run my own nursery and had a policy of putting up fees at the same time every year, just to keep up with rising costs - I put this information in my welcome pack so that the increase was never an unwelcome surprise to parents..... no-one ever complained about it when it happened.

My fees are set to be just slightly lower than the two local nurseries, but I really don't think the parents I have choose me cos I'm cheaper! I put my fees up last year by 30p an hour, so this year I'm not putting them up, then will have an increase next year of about 5%. I think an increase in line with inflation is only fair anyway. Hope that helps.

Thanks guys. I'm not worried about them complaining I just didn't want to put them up by an unfair amount! I looked up rate of inflation but got a bit bewildered!! It seems to be 3% or less! Decided to just put 10p an hour on all rates (I have a sliding scale according to how many hours they do, whether we provide food and sibling reduction) and be done with it!

I think from now on I will as you suggested put in my welcome pack that they go up every April by 5%.

Cheers. I've written the letters etc ready to go out tomorrow then they have more than a month's notice.

I decided not just to follow inflation, but to look at how much my costs are going up, this is usually more than inflation. I also employ childminding assistants and need to pay the a fair wage too. I don't use a sliding scale as they are paying by the hour, I also charge full fees if they are off sick but give 50% for 4 weeks holiday, anything over that is full price.

I have made an exception and dropped fees before for a parent I know is having a lot of financial difficulty.

Social services pay £5 per hour if they use one of our places locally in normal working hours.

All your parents get a pay rise, so they should expect you to get one too.

Good Luck

I'm a childminder in Essex - I put up my fees approx in line with inflation each year - this generally adds 10-15p per hour onto my standard rate. I also charge more for flexible or evening services - 6.00 per hour currently for a completely flexible only pay when you use it evening rate. I'm certainly going to put them up when I complete EYPS though - If you're highly qualified you've got to charge accordingly!

• 3 months later...

Hi

This is always an interesting topic!

As I belong to a Network, we all get together to see what our local rate is, its not compulsory to charge this amount but it makes childminding much better if we work togther and not in competion with each other.

I have been minding for 6 years and my rate was £2.50 for the first two years, £3.00 the next two (bringing myself inline with the local rate at the time) and £3.25 the next two. I am going up again in Sept to £3.50 per hour.

I know minders in my area who charge more than that, and some less.

I did some reserch and use it when explaining my costs; cleaners get from £7 and hour and dog walkers £5 , isn't their child worth more?

I have also made an exception and dropped fees before for a parent I knew was having a lot of financial difficulty; I think this is good practice and builds a good relationship with the parent.

When you consider we only really get approx one third of what we accutally charge after paying all the overheads and the hours we do; I've been on a 55 hour week since last Sept.

I think parents are getting a bargin at £1.15 an hour. Which is why it is essential to keep as full with work as possible to be on a decent wage!

• 2 months later...

I totally agree. The problem for me is that I am charging far less than others in my area because new ones have come in at a higher rate and I don't feel I can suddenly raise my fees by £1 an hour! I'm hoping I can do it gradually and did think about charging a higher rate to new ones coming to my setting but then I don't think that is equality really!

I tend to check annually to see what local nurseries and other childminders are charging then put up my fees a little bit for current parents and properly for new ones.... I find new ones are looking at nurseries generally anyway, so they don't mind paying a bit extra for 1-1 care

I also check the local schools for after-school charges and make sure I'm competitive - I ask them questions like 'what snack will you provide?' and 'What will my child do' to get ideas too!! I just pretend I'm a prospective parent coming from out of area

Sarahx :o

I haven't put my fees up since 2004 and have realised that I am charging much less than anyone else in my area now! I know it doesn't count in the CM world but I have over 20 years experience in childcare and am level 5 and feel a bit put out that new mums with no experience are getting more than me! Well at least I'm honest!!

I know our preschool wages increase by 2.5% each year but it harldy seems worth it on the amount I charge in fees!

Just wondered how others did it....

I think it absolutely should matter for childminders, and if I was in the position of looking for a childminder I would most certainly take it into account!

I know nothing about childminders fees, but I certainly think you should charge at least the going rate and if all was fair in this world you'd be able to charge extra in recognition of your experience and qualifications - your families are very lucky to have you caring for their childlen.

Maz (who is now going to check whether my staff got a 2.5% pay rise this year or not...)

Hi, I have been childminding since 2004 and also haven't put my fees up. I have taken extra qualifications in childcare and am continuing to do so.

At the moment I charge £3.00 per hour and less for school children in the school holidays. However, as I am taking on new children I am charging £3.50 for before/after school care and am thinking of doing this for the under 5s too-although maybe giving a reduction for full-time care.

• 2 months later...

:oxD

Hi all If found when I moved to a new home that the rates childminders charged where £1 per hour less than the area I had moved from.

It all depends how in demand you are. In the new area I am in There are two nurserys and also alot of familys supporting each other ie grandparents looking after little ones for free.

were as where I used to live there was alot of new housing with young families away from close relations.

But at the end of the day it is best to work out practically what wage you need to stay afloat aswell as (if Possible) put aside for times when you loose a mindee without much warning.

Hope this helps

Amanda

• 1 month later...

HI

i usually put my fees up to new parents 1st and then introduce the new fees to other parents. I also put my fees up yearly...usually imn april or september

this is my 1st post btw :o

HI

i usually put my fees up to new parents 1st and then introduce the new fees to other parents. I also put my fees up yearly...usually imn april or september

this is my 1st post btw :(

A warm welcome to the forum, and well done on making your first post :o Love your name, say's what you do but could be construed as a health warning too xD:(

Peggy

A warm welcome to the forum, and well done on making your first post :o Love your name, say's what you do but could be construed as a health warning too xD:(

Peggy

thank you x x

• 2 weeks later...

hi i have been a childminder since 1995 and on my local net work since 2004 i agree with the last posting. i review my contracts with parents each may and i also put my rates up simultaneously by usually 10p per hour unless i know the family are having financial problems, then i usually make it 5p an hour

this is my first posting and i have thoroughly enjoyed reading the wealth of information on this site

thank you to all you informative people out there

Hello and welcome from another childminder! Good to see more of us signing up - hopefully we'll be able to bounce EYFS hints, tips & ideas off each other.

Nona

• 4 weeks later...

Hi I'm another newbie to the forum....in fact it was only yesterday evening that I stumbled across this site and think it's fab.

I've been a Registered Childminder for 5 years and have attended all the training courses on offer plus the ICP, DCP and am on the final unit of the Diploma in Home-Based Childcare....I also belong to the Children Come First network.

Childminders in my County work so differently from one another some charge a daily/half daily fee (similar to a Day Nursery) whilst others including myself charge by the hour.

I don't even consider other childminders fee's when setting my own but will phone around Day Nurseries and Before/After School Clubs to try and be competative.

When I first started minding I charged £2 per hour but I only had one child of my own so was able to have a decent income.......I've now got three young children of my own and am currently charging a parent £4 per hour (£20 a day) as her child only comes 9.30 - 2.30 3 days a week and £6 per hour on a Saturday. My price reflects my experience, training, commitment and what I offer in respect of outings, activities and experiences - however new minders are coming in charging the same as me !!!

I tend to increase my fee's to new parents first and then gradually introduce it to my existing parents. My Welcome Pack clearly tells parents that I have the right to increase my fee's to keep in line with other childcare providers and the cost of living and I will give at least one month's notice of any intended changes.

Your 20 years childcare experience should certainly be reflected in your fee's....I for one would pay over and above the average rate for your skills and experience......don't sell yourself short. :o

hi i have been a childminder since 1995 and on my local net work since 2004 i agree with the last posting. i review my contracts with parents each may and i also put my rates up simultaneously by usually 10p per hour unless i know the family are having financial problems, then i usually make it 5p an hour

this is my first posting and i have thoroughly enjoyed reading the wealth of information on this site

thank you to all you informative people out there

Hello sarahscraps, just wanted to say a warm welcome to the forum, glad to hear you are enjoying it and well done on your first post. :o

Peggy

• 1 month later...
Guest peekleeds

I review my fees in June usually increasing them by 3 - 5%, inform parents by letter for new fees to start on 1st September for new school year. At present my fees include all meals and snacks and I am considering changing the evening meal to only provide a light snack after school as food bills are spiralling!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)