Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Incubation Easter

Hi

I am trying to get organsied and was looking at having a incubator and eggs for the children to hatch in the spring. Has any one any ideas how I would go about this? has ayone done it how did it go? where can I get the eggs and the incubator from I Live in the Lincolnshire area if that is any help. Sorry loads of questions but I know some of you wonderful people will have some suggestions. :D

The main consideration is what happens to the chicks once they have hatched-do you have somewhere for them to go afterwards?

Great idea to do but lots of thought to put into it.

Linda

I bought ours from insect lore a few years ago and it has been really successful. I didnt do it last year cos of all the hype with bird flu. But the year before we got two ducklings out of six eggs.

I got our eggs from a local high school farm and then took them to a childrens farm after 2 weeks.

Chicks take 21 days and I think the ducklings were 28 days. So you might be pushing it.

I was going to do chicks again but am still usure whether some of the parents might be twitchy about bird flu!!!!

Good Luck and let us know how you go in - it really is magical

We were going to do this after such a success last year.But we were advised against it due to the Bird flu virus. We are based in Norfolk near Bernard Mattthews. xD

Worth Thinking about! :o

We have living eggs arriving at the end of April - very excited! Linda they do take the chicks away for you at the end of it - thank goodness! :o My husband has always wanted chickens! xD Will have to let you all know how it goes but I did book them some months ago.

Hi Liz

I know a lot of companies who supply the whole kit will take them for you. We have a local farm we could borrow from and they take the hatched chicks.

I just was concerned because in the Insectlore catalogue it does state that you need to make prior arrangements for the chicks prior to starting the project.

I would love to do it-probably next year now.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...

If anyone lives in the North Somerset area, I am happy to lend our incubator, which is a child orientated one holding 3 eggs with a count down screen and automatic turning etc, and I will have the chicks back after

Ellie

email me at ellie@brimblewood.plus.com

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)