Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning Advice

Hi everyone,

I have spent the half term revamping the pre schools planning format, the old system they had in place is quite tired and they were pulled up on it by Ofsted.

I have written a Long Term Plan, which basically shows the ELG we will focus on each month, although all of the goals will also be met within our continuos provision. I have listed all visits, events and celebrations. I have only put 1 to 2 ELG in each month to start with and will review it at the end of the year.

I have written focus activity sheets, which sets out the possible learning outcomes from the various activities, how long should i run a focus activity for, initially i was thinking of doing a focus activity per day...do you think this is to much, should i therefore let the focus activity run for a week or should i do two focus activities per week...would really appreciate some guidance on this one.

The daily plan shows the planning for each area of learning, staff deployment, observation and assessment opportunities, staff role and area.

I have a separate sheet for children's interests, which the pre school has never done before (which was a shame) the sheet lists all the childrens names down one side and we fill them out over a week, these will then be brought to the planning meeting where they will be used to inform the next week plan.

Alongside this we each have a focus observation sheet and a different child is the focus each day, again these will be used to inform next steps and planning for the following week.

Eventually i would love to move over completely to motivational planning and have read every post on here about it, but feel i need to implement these things slowly as not to scare the staff.

One last thing as we have a shall quite room, i have introduced small keyworker group time, this will enable the keyworkers to plan an activity to cover any stepping stones that their children need consolidating, extending or further support to achieve.

I have to present the planning format to the group on the 27th February and it will take effect from the 5th of March 2007.

Any advice, suggestions would be really appreciated.

Claire x

Your post is very interesting, Claire, especially the part about the small keyworker group time. We do this everyday in our setting and I think it works really well. Do please let us know how it all 'pans out', after your presentation on 27th and how you get on in your implementation of it.

Sue

Hi Claire,

How many focus activities to do? It's so difficult to know isn't it? I'd consider how many of your children attend each day, and whether one focus activity is enough for a child who comes every day. If most of your children come only a couple of times per week, then one focus activity per week might well be sufficient, especially if you make sure everyone has an attempt at it. Perhaps a compromise of two per week might balance out these problems. I've always found in my setting that one focus activity per session puts so much pressure on us to grab every child and make them do it!! :o

We also do a focus observation on one child each day, and this works well; all members of staff can contribute to it, and I believe you end up with a very balanced picture of the child. Using this in planning is clearly best practice, (and Ofsted were very pleased with this!) and having a section on the observation sheet saying "Implications for planning" makes our intentions clear, ie linking obs. and planning.

we do one focus activity a day, but this will depend on how often children attend, we found we needed this for the children who are in 5 days a week, it works well for us, and we allocate a member of staff each day to implement and complete the activity, they like this as they can have a little time to prepare anything needed or work out how they want to approach the activity. Often it is something they have suggested or would like to do with the children which helps with the motivation and enthusiasm at which they will approach the activity.

our students enjoy this approach too as they can become involved in these with a member of staff, and occasionally able to suggest and implement their own ideas, and this is often used for their college work, we let them try their own ideas and they learn to adapt them to the children's needs with a staff members help.

Inge

We also do a focus observation on one child each day, and this works well; all members of staff can contribute to it, and I believe you end up with a very balanced picture of the child. Using this in planning is clearly best practice, (and Ofsted were very pleased with this!) and having a section on the observation sheet saying "Implications for planning" makes our intentions clear, ie linking obs. and planning.

Thanks everyone for your input. Inge thankyou for pointing out the 'implications for planning' as i didnt have this column on my sheet, even though the obs will be used to inform planning. Do you then fill in the implications for planning section at the planning meeting or as you are doing the ob, sorry for so many questions, just really want to get this right.

Claire x

Hi :D:D:D

If something is immediately obvious during the observations, we complete the "implications" bit then. If not, we complete it during planning meetings, after discussing the child. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)