Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Garage Topic

Hi everyone,

We will be working around the topic of transportation within the next 3 weeks.

The 1st week will be just general transportation,

the 2nd week all about "The garage" and

the 3rd week all about trains.

It is the 1st time we will do "The garage". We will visit the garage nearby us and also see the Teacher's TV video. We will also have a 'Transportation Day' for all pre-school, and my class will give ideas to set up an area like that of a garage.

What else can we do? I do wish to cover all the 6 areas for this specific topic, being realistic that I work alone with my group.

All ideas and suggestions are very welcome :D !

hi we once set up a garage in the role play area .we had the large wooden ramps, old numberplates, old tyre, overalls and lots of tools .it was the one time there were more boys than girls in the role play.they still had a till, phone and lots of forms eg mot certificates, receits (know its spelt wrong but cant think of right spelling :o )and cheque books.

we also had money and mags to read while you wait for mot.

There is a really good DVD around that shows the children what happens in various places like the garage and the post office - its name escapes me but maybe someone else has used it too? We used it at the beginning of our topic to give the children ideas for role play in our garage. Like Marys, that role play as very popular with the boys. We had MOT forms, lists for checking cars, appointment books, etc etc.

Thinking about the garage topic made me smile. Last year when we had the role play set up the children were really deep into their roles and the nursery teacher pulled up in her car and said it was making funny noises. The children scratched their heads made various suggestions and finally decided the diesel pump needed replacing. The nursery teacher said 'How much will that cost? Can you give me an estimate?' To which one enterprising young man replied................ don't worry about it miss my dad will nick you one !!! :o

I have just done a topic on cars and garages that the children have really liked using. Here are some of the signs and things we have used e.g tax discs/mot cetificates etc.. i have got more things in my file but seen to be having problems at the mo will try later. hope this will help.

Brake_disc_poster.doc

auto.doc

brake_pads.doc

MOT_Test_Certificate.doc

Price_List.doc

tax_disc.doc

Thinking about the garage topic made me smile. Last year when we had the role play set up the children were really deep into their roles and the nursery teacher pulled up in her car and said it was making funny noises. The children scratched their heads made various suggestions and finally decided the diesel pump needed replacing. The nursery teacher said 'How much will that cost? Can you give me an estimate?' To which one enterprising young man replied................ don't worry about it miss my dad will nick you one !!! :o

That is so funny xD

When i did transport, we arranged for a limosine to visit. 8 children fitted comfortably in the back.

We also looked at a motorbike and did observational drawings which turned out to be fantastic.

We looked under the bonnet of the car, checked the oil and water in the washer bottle and the police arrived for the children to go in their cars and sit on their bikes. One of our parents had a reliant robin which made the 4 wheels thing something to think about! A great topic. :D

A person in management has a motorbike at school, so I will ask him if it is okay to let them have a try on our 1st week. They will go nuts with it xD ! Thanks for the idea :) .

Then we will work around "The garage" on the 2nd week.

We usually do the observational drawings when we go to the train station, our last activity after the 3 weeks around Transportation. We will take a tram to go to the t.s., then we get close to the trains (and inside if possible... :o) and then return on a bus. We keep an eye on all the types of transports that we see on our way. We don't do a graph because it would be impossible to count all the cars :( ha-ha.

On long car journeys when I was little my brother had to record all the blue cars I had to record all the red. No idea who won think we got fed up before we got far.

My lads used to record mini's, with this little ditty...

Mini pinch (they pinched)

Mini punch (they punched)

No returns (so I couldnt get them back)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)