Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Foods - 1 And A Half Year Old?

What consistency of food should a 1 1/2 year old be eating?

We have a child at nursery whose mum still sends him in with mushed up food for his lunch, which he just pops in his mouth and swallows.

She's a mum who gets very defensive about anything. The nursery nurses in her room have mentioned to her about it before, but to no avail.

I'm only talking from personal experience...and my babies are now 18 and 13......but am pretty sure that an 18 month old should be starting to eat a variety of textures and lumps by now? What happens when this child is given finger foods?

Edited by Wolfie

Just did a search to see what links there were to development and found this on the Food Standards Agency site:

From six months old, you can gradually increase the amount of solid foods you give your baby so that by twelve months, solid foods become the main part of your baby's diet, with breast or formula milk making up the balance. Remember that cows' milk isn't suitable as a drink for babies under a year old.

By giving your baby solid foods you will be introducing them gradually to a wide range of non-milk foods. So, by a year old, they will be eating a varied diet.

But remember that all babies are different. Some start solid foods earlier, some later. Some take to it quickly and some take longer. Some are choosy, others seem to like everything.

Also found this lovely 'soundbite' (pardon the pun)

The No Thank You Bite: Having trouble getting your toddler to eat the proper foods? Our child was saved from a lifetime of cereal by the "No Thank You Bite," taught to us by a baby-sitter. It became a rule to eat at least one bite of everything on her plate, and gradually, she discovered that some of them weren't so bad. At first, it wasn't easy to enforce the rule -- we had a few timeouts and lots of wailing and gnashing of teeth -- but we stuck to our guns, and she wasn't allowed to refuse the No Thank You Bite (except for dessert). Eventually, the rule was set for her, and she stopped fighting it. It also helps to introduce new foods every three or four days -- this way, your child is used to giving new things a try. Don't force more than a bite, but do insist on one.

Trying to think back to my sons, i remember finger foods and what I used to say was suck it see food. Try telling the mum that he might need to start 'exercising' his jaws for his teeth coming in :D:o if he hasn't already got some.

Try saying how good he is doing with his food and that he's ready for the next step. Do you give him finger food? try telling mum that he tried some thing with you and how good he was at eating it. Maybe drop in the conversation that boys can be lazy eaters and that she will have to let him start working for his food.

Keep the conversation as light as possible and rather than tell mum what to do make her think it was her idea.

Make suggestions rather light hearted like how lucky she will be to see how funny they can be when they try solid foods. I always take the conversation away from the parents and tell them experiences that I've had with my children.

Like the laughs we used to have at home when we gave my son ........... if you don't have children use your experiences at nursery.

Subtle hints rather than direct information. she will probably come back to you in a week saying he tried ........

If that fails go for the direct route but give mum time to take up the hints.

Bless her she is only learning like her child :D

I'm only talking from personal experience...and my babies are now 18 and 13......but am pretty sure that an 18 month old should be starting to eat a variety of textures and lumps by now? What happens when this child is given finger foods?

Wolfie have you edited it since hali's comment or am I being blond xD I can't see where the lumps were limps :o:)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)