Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Changing Rooms

Hi all,

My child who is 19 months has been attending nursery from 11 months. He started off in the baby room and moved to a brand new toddler room when the new deputy manager started. This move went really smoothly and my son has always loved going into nursery. For the past month however he has not had a 'base' room. Some days he spends all day in the tweenie room (large room approx 15-20 kids) and some days he spends the day in the toddler room (4 children.

Over the last month his behaviour has gradually got worse (at home not nursery) and he is now crying each morning when my Mum takes him into nursery. Not quite sure how it works in nurseries and don't want them to think I'm a pushy parent but I feel that he needs a base room as at the moment he is refusing to go into the Tweenie room and spends a long time being upset when he gets in there and before he gets time to get used to this room he spends a couple of days back in the toddler room (which he loves) and this has been going on over the last month.

Any opinions/advice warmly welcomed.

Hi Mookie

I don't have experience of running a day nursery but this doesn't sound right to me.

How old are the children in the tweenie and toddler rooms and what are the staffing ratios?

Children find any transition to a new room/setting difficult enough but the constant swapping and changing seems to me to be much to confusing for such a young child.

I would definately ask more questions to find out why this is necessary.

I'd ask mookie, I'm in a nursery who limit the children on Wednesdays to those who pay or have Child protection issues, this is so they can run a parent workshop in one of the rooms, but it also means the children dont use their usual room necesarily. During the early morning and late evening the children are often mixed due to lower numbers and the room choice is based on how many of each age group their are, on which room is most in need of cleaning or sometimes on the room closest to the door so we can hear the bell! .

There could be lots of reasons for the change, are they considering moving him to the older room on a permenant basis? If so they might be breaking him into the new room and routines slowly.

It seems a shame that he's upset now when he wasnt before, but it could also be an age thing, both my lads got clingy and needed mom more at about that age.

Whatever it turns out to be I hope it's easily sorted :D

Hi

I manage a day nursery and all children have a base room this ensures continuity fro the children and makes the nursery a more homely environment for them. I would have a chat with the nursery staff this may be a short term measure if they have new staff who are settling in or maybe they have been short staffed(this does not help your child). may be the staff are trying to get your child gradually used to a new room ready for a move but if this is the case they need to look at their transition policy. I would definately have a chat and explain the effects this is having on your child at the end of the day I am sure they would like to work with you to get your child back to their normal happy self

No answers Mookie, but I have always taken the line that if I dont stand up for my children no one else will and you know without doubt that something is not right for him at this time. his behaviour tells you that.

Hope you get some satisfactory answers.

You definitely need to speak to the staff - has your son got a keyworker?

As others have said, there may be perfectly good reasons for doing this (numbers, ratios, transition) but you need to be told about this so that you can support your son - and for your Mum too, as she is dropping him off.

Children at this age need consistency in their environment and key adults, and this could be (and is proving to be) quite unsettling at the moment for all concerned.

I rang the nursery today and the manager answered. I expressed my concerns and she was really nice. She said her and his room manager had been discussing the sutuation just this morning. She said they are in agreement that he is ready to move to the Tweenie room and were trying to settle him gradually. We decided that maybe this is not working for him so he Tweenie manager is going to try to spend 10 mins each day in the toddler room with him over the next week and then move him in properly the week after. I know he'll probably be unhappy for a few days however I really think that it will be easier on him doing it this way. I understand that this gradual apporach will work really well for some children however I don't feel this is right for him and luckily the manager was in agreement. Thanks for your replies

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)