Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Education Development Officer

Hi

I manage a childrens centre who does not except education funding as this is allocated to the school. We recently had a visit from our EDO who was very negative and reduced my staff to tears.(some where valid points but not bad practise just ways to improve and we are a new staff team and setting) After speaking to other providers who have had dealings with this person it turns out she is not liked by the majority of settings and that she has no idea how to communicate with people and has satisfaction in reducing staff to tears. I did wander wether we had to had the involvement of a EDO as we do not get NEG funding. can anyone suggest what I should do as my staff are dreading her coming in again.

Hi

Sorry to hear about your bad experience...

In the LA where I work, we have Childcare Development Officers (of which I am one) and Advisory Teachers. We tend to do new developments - daycare, wraparound and extended schools, with some limited Birth to Three support thrown in for good measure. The teachers only support those that receive funding.

Not sure if your EDO covers 0-5 or FS children? If you have concerns, she will have a line manager within the authority and if, as it sounds like others have concerns, I think that you have a duty to raise this and perhaps others will follow suit. If you keep quiet, she'll only keep on doing it (and to be fair to her, she may not realise that her manner is reducing staff to tears) I'd be mortified if I knew that this was the result of my support.

Sorry to hear you have had such a negative experience, I agree with RB, I do find it difficult to understand that anyone would gain satisfaction from 'reducing staff to tears', not dismissing your comment, but what benefit would this be to her job goals?? :o

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)