Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Scale

Just wondered what other people agree in their setting how many is 'some' in scale points 2 and 3 (use some clearly identifiable letters, and represent some sounds correctly). Also how many 'other' words for point 4.

thanks, just looking at my writing samples and wondering what a consensus is (if any of course)

The guidance from Surrey is 3 letters for pont 2 (accept just the child's name) and for point 3, 5 letters. For point 4 the guidance says 4 words plus own name, 50% of letters must be correctly formed.

HTH

Thanks for that, there's a big difference then between 2 and half then isnt there?

I know we discussed this at a moderation meeting but I cant find what we wrote. It was certainly more than Surrey's, around 8 for each, so Id be interested to hear what other LAs are advising

The guidance we have from our LA is still quite vague

W2 The letters which the child produces, for example in a role play context, maybe from her/his own name. S/he assigns meaning to what has been written. There is often no sound/symbol match at this stage.

W3 The child’s attempts at writing unknown words include some appropriate letters, usually in the initial position.

Following a trip to the zoo, R draws a picture of a gorilla and underneath writes the letter ‘g’.

W4 The child independently writes at least her/his first name as well as some other words (at least 3 of 2 or more letters). These may be key words currently featured in literacy sessions and/or words that are important to her/him such as ‘mum’, ‘dad’, ‘cat’, and perhaps the names of other family members.

The letters must be recognisable but need not all be correctly formed.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)