Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Colouring Rice

how odd! we get the children to do it. Put rice in a bowl, children choose colour and we add a drop (it doesn't take much so go carefully!) of food colouring. They mix it up then tip it onto a tray to spread out to dry. We like to do that so we get a mix of colours but obviously can just do one! We put it in the sand tray after. It grabs the colour unevenly so you get some really deeply dyed and others really pale - gorgeous

Have to admit, we have actually let the children put it straight into the sand tray without waiting for it to dry and we've never had a problem with it coming off on their hands... obviously I meant an empty sand tray not to mix rice in with sand :o

At ours they'd eat it too!! PS went to bed shattered at 9pm, end of half term catching up I think, and wide awake now!!Not usually on so late so good to see you're up too Susan!

I cant sleep either xD waiting up for my youngest :o

The children do the usual things they do with water it makes a lovely sound :)

We also provide rice bowls and spoons,metal spoons,wooden spoons,pans,measuring jugs,bottles etc they love to 'cook' with it

Never thought about putting it in a low oven. I've always got the children to do this kind of thing on a Friday afternoon and then just left it spread out on trays to dry over the weekend.

We'll be having some next week with a wok and chopsticks as part of our Chinese New Year celebrations.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)