Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Show And Tell

Hi, just what others do for Show and tell. My children love this time, but it can get quite long and some children get fidgity. Any other ideas much appreciated

We have a show and tell table so children can show their friends/peers throughout the session. The children get a chance to tell the 'whole group' on their birthdays.

Peggy

i don't have a set show and tell time, we usually either do show and tell after snack or just before lunch. i am really mean and don't let them bring teddies/toys etc unless it is a birthday present as i got fed up of them saying this is my teddy/doll etc and then not being able to tell me anything else about it!!!!! now they bring in photos, programmes of places they've been, things they've made etc and it is a much better speaking and listening experience. the others ask really good questions (I had a year 2 class once who only ever asked 'where do you keep it!!!?') and they talk well about what they did etc.

sorry but stopped doing this a while ago except on occasions and birthdays,

for the reason stated with 20 children they only interested in own item then get bored, this was raised by Ofsted as unsuitable in an inspection a long while ago, tried 2 groups on their suggestion but one would finish faster than other so either had to time it exactly or some play while others sit ,

we also had a dispute over a toy as 3 claimed it was theirs and we had no clue as to who had brought it in, turned out none of them!! Other problems regularly surfaced, such as lost item in a toy, misplaced toys, wanting to play with them during session etc etc etc.

They can bring in toys but it is in a bag on their coat peg for collection when they leave, not in session exception being comforters when needed, which is usually only a few minutes when they then put it in their bag knowing it is there if they need it. we only occasionally find one who needs it longer , (we do find a problem with parents putting dummy in coat pocket for when they go home and child discovering it during outdoor play!)

Inge

We have the same old problem of show and tell. I have tried to limit by asking one group a day to do their show and tell (6 children). In nursery they have a sound table and link it to the letter of the week. We are going to start theming it after half term linking it to our food topic so will have something along the lines of the following: Favourite food, Favourite recipes, Healthy food and any interesting items related to 'food' my banned question is 'do you like it?'

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)