Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Am I Being Unreasonable?

In order to do the FD I applied to the Transformation Fund to cover my course fees which I got, so was thrilled with that. I then received an application for a bursary from the fund to the value of £1,500 for things like books and equipment. I then received an application for my manager to claim £3000 per college year to use for me, so I could have a day off in the week (for college) and still be paid for it. It meant that I could be paid as normal, plus my manager could get bank staff in to cover me for the one day a week with no extra charge to her or the nursery.

I went to my manager and told her that basically I am finding the balance of home, children, work and college really stressful at the moment, particularly as I have 2 important assignments due in over the next 2 weeks. She sounded really sympathetic and said she would look at the terms and conditions of the mentor application and let me know.

So today she called me into the office and told me that she felt I had taken too much on by applying to do another course. I told her that it was my FD that the funding was for, not another course! She seemed ok with that but then said she was not going to accept the funding for me because she didnt think it was on that I had a day off in the week, especially as I already leave early one day a week to attend college. I told her it was for a full day instead of a half day, not a day and a half! I think she got confused somewhere along the way.

Anyway, once I explained it all to her, she seemed slightly happier, but then threw another argument at me, this one being that it would be unfair to the children for me to have one day a week off (which by the way, isnt costing her any extra whatsoever) and that nobody would want to do supply for one day a week. Then she said the parents would be worried about me not being there. Again she said no. So I offered to work the first 2/3 hours of the day so the parents would see me in the morning as normal and so they wouldn't get upset.

Basically, I was wondering, am I being unreasonable to request this day off a week (all barring 2/3 hours)? I thought she would go for it, especially as it is, in effect a freebie for her? I can understand what she is saying about continuity of care for the children, but I only work half day on a college day as it is and she will be getting a full days money for me, so the 2/3 hours I have offered to do wont cost her anything anyway.

Oh, dear, Clare!

This is really not helping you at all, is it! Supply shouldn't really care how much they're doing - it's what the situation is, anyway! I don't think your boss is being very helpful at all, and I feel for you. I suspect the parents would be really pleased to think you were going all out to be a better professional.

Good luck, anyway!

Sue

I'm just wondering if your manager is feeling threatned by the fact that you're doing the foundation degree. Has she done further qualifications herself?

Really unfair Clare.

I do supply, it might be one day a week at your setting but who's to say how much work they do elsewhere? Last week I did 3 days at one place one at another.

My current setting do job share, one staff I never see, 1 I see twice a week, 2 I see once a week. I've only ever heard the children acknowledge the fact on their return not in their absence, if you see what I mean!

They seem to be 'grasping at straws' type arguements from your boss.

I think you need to be a bit firmer. Is she jealous of your course, I've come across that before.

Good luck sorting it out :D

oh Clare you dont need this stress on top of your already busy life!!

if your manager has a regular person in to cover your work then surely that is continuity of care? does she have an emergency member of staff? or would some of your collegues be glad of some overtime (after christmas most of us need it!)

I would agree with Jane that maybe she feels a little threatned by your progress...

try not to stress, its not unreasonable to ask especially when money is there for this kind of support.

I dont think your request is unreasonable at all. I would have thought your manager would be happy to have some one who is willing to do all the training. You should not have to work at all if she is getting funding for a full day.

Is your FD going to give you a higher qualification than your manager?

Thats a good amount i only get £200 per year. I'm not complaining really it is nice to be supported at all.

its not an unreasonable request on your part, i have staff who only work four days per week and its fine the childrens development is not compromised in any way

I will be higher qualified than all the staff in the nursery and I did consider that maybe it was a jealousy thing, but I don't think my manager cares. She is too comfortable in her job to worry about higher qualified people coming in and taking over. Some of her practices are appalling quite frankly, but it's not for me to say, she doesn't listen to a word I say anyway! She's best mates with the owner, has worked there for years and years and years and can basically do what she likes as the owner hasn't a clue about nurseries and all that they entail.

I think she's just being downright mean to be honest.

Thanks for all your replies though, made me feel a bit better!

can I just say she can not stop you Clare!

Altho i realise it may mean bad feeling in the nursery if they have the t.fund THAT is what it is for!!!and you could complain to the people who allocated it she is not meeting the criteria so will not recieve anymore and may have to pay it back!

Altho i am the supervisor/manager of a preschool with 99% qualified staff who have been there ranging from 15 years! and I hope to start my FD in sept which will take me 4yrs+ (and im no spring chicken) I have a teacher who has been with us only 2years who is just starting her eyps (this is a busy time for us) and she too will be more qualified then any of us within 6months!

It isnt fair and i know it has caused a little unrest amongst us but we know it isnt her fault and we will all support her the best we can!and will be very proud of her when she completes too! :D

Yes it is difficult when qualifications take over from experience. That said it could be a matter of money you know. If you have a higher qualification she may have to pay you more. It is also possible that she sees you as qualified enough, and so wants to cash in on your previous training. She is being selfish, and lazy, getting a supply if effort that she clearly can't be bothered doing. That said I have no doubt that the children love having you and your expertise with them, on the days that you do work, and if you asked them they would want you to work every day. But then children that's children :o

Hi Jane and welcome, thanks for your first post which seems to have slipped in unnoticed!

Sorry to hear that you have yet more work hassle, Clare. Life long learning is the name of the game!

Yep, more work hassle Susan! I think it is the area I live in to be honest, because all places are pretty much the same. One nursery near me has just been shut down for operating with NO REGISTRATION!!!

I would just love to work somewhere that does things properly, and not wholly for the sake of the money they can get from parents.

I sometimes read about places that do do things properly and wonder if maybe they are making it up! I know that that's not the case, but I can't believe that I am so unlucky in whatever job I go into. I've tried to analyse whether or not it might actually just be me, maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I honestly do not think it is. I think it all comes down to money.

To be honest, I'm really annoyed at my manager for not claiming this money. I know it isn't compulsory, but I think it is that she wants the money, just not to use for my benefit. There are lots of Ts and Cs that need to be adhered to otherwise the TF claim the money back, and she is just not willing to adhere to them.

Anyway, I have decided that I am going to approach her once again and try to compromise, by offering to do those hours in the morning (even though there is funding available so I don't technically have to) and if she still refuses, I am going to find another job, because I personally feel that she is purposely holding me back and there isn't really a need for it. And the way I look at it, if she's that upset about me being more qualified than her, then there is nothing stopping her going onto further courses and stuff.

Sorry that last line was a bit naff, but I can't write properly when I'm stressed!

Thanks everyone for your opinions on this. x