Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tv Time

Hello, do any of you out there have tv time at your preschool?

Because we are full day care and our children do not have a sleep during the day we have tv time to give them a rest. Do the rest of you do this?

We ave never had a problem with this until a parent questionned it today and seemed annoyed about it. This parent is one of those ones who complains about everything, but i still want to make sure we are not the only people doing this.

Thanks

My current nursery have TV time after lunch sometimes for a while and sometimes after tea, but it's not every day or even every week. I agree that sometimes the children just need to chill out, sprawled on a bean bag, gathering their thoughts and staring into space, but I think you have to be careful that it is for the childrens benefit and not during staff lunches when ratios may be a bit tight, or when paperwork needs doing or staff just cant be bothered to do anything else.

I'm not saying this is why TV is on in your nursery, just highlighting some of the reasons I've seen.

Did the parent say what/why she didnt like the TV on? :)

We have the tv on for 20 mins after lunch for kids to rest and 20 mins after tea. She just doesnt like her child watching tv and this is why she complained.

We only have tv on to give the kids a rest, as some become sleepy etc. We turn it off if the children want to go and play, as we dont want to force them to watch it.

HI

In our pre-school room, we have a 20 minute rest time (after lunch) where children lie down on their own cushions and listen to a story tape, this gives them chance to re-charge their batteries :D

We very rarely have TV time, possibly once a month if that.

I have worked in settings that have used it frequently (ie 30 mins after lunch and 30 mins after tea) that i felt was too much, but i think if you monitor the time children watch the TV it will be fine.

Dawn

Edited by Guest

I don't like TVs in nurseries as I find that they get used for the wrong reasons i.e. easy to control children whilst staff have breaks (not suggesting that this is what you do though) There are lots of quiet activities that can be done to allow children to recharge before the start of the next session - we encouraged children to lay down and listen to a story tape, but allowed them to play if they wanted...

Just checking - do you have a TV licence/entertainment licence if you are showing videos/DVDs? You should be registered with MPLC or similar (for videos) and the PRS (for music) unless you are on an education site, which is already covered.

We also don't have a TV at my day nursery. We feel some children already watch a great deal of TV at home. Our quiet time consists of stories read by adults , calming music, story tapes or puzzles. Some of our children sleep so we try to be quiet. We did watch the "snowman" on my lap top while they were getting ready for the Christmas concert.

I don't have a TV at preschool basically because I can't justify the expense of the liscences as RB has pointed out.

Our children actually need a run around after sitting still for 20 minute lunchtime.

If I did have a TV I would have a policy written on it's use to show parents and I would consider any parents wish that their child didn't watch TV by offering alternative activities.

Peggy

I am a childminder working in a group, and we use TV straight after lunch, I usually record something from cbeebies on sky plus e.g. 'something special', or anything linked to a theme, they have it for about 15-20 mins while we load the dishwasher, clean the floor and table and set up the next activity. Sometimes I use a story DVD or audio tape instead, and sometimes we look at books individually. I see no harm so long as the time is short and the programme has something useful in it. Most of the children really enjoy it, we have one staff member sat with them. As we have little space it is the only way we can get cleared up and set up again for the afternoon. Our children have learned a lot of signs from something special. We have never had any complaints from parents so far.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)