Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Desperate To Leave

Handed in my notice today, and unfortunately am feeling really gutted and upset :o

I am leaving mainly because of 1 person, and that person isn't there this week. I have had just the best week so far. The team have been working as a team; have been happy; supportive of another; child-focused............I could go on :D

I KNEW this would happen. I knew I'd have a good week and not want to hand my notice in, but this is just 1 week out of many, and I know come Monday it will be back to how it usually is again, and that no-one will want to be at work. We had a supply in today, and she said to another staff member that we are the only nursery she has been in where the staff all work as 1 happy team. We were all staggered, and very flattered. Had she been in next week she would never had uttered or even thought those thoughts.

I have tried to sort out the reason for me being so unhappy myself, and have also sought support from one another - to no avail. With it not being my nursery, my hands are tied and I am constricted by what those above allow. Without going into too much detail, present practice by 1 person has not only breached Ofsted standards, but Child Protection also - and I am disgusted that the (large) company I am employed by are allowing it to continue. It breaks my heart to leave a job that I am good at; children and families who are amazing; and a staff team who several months ago I despaired at - but I just cannot put my name to the practice that is being allowed to continue by 1 person. It is only a matter of time before something serious happens - and I don't wish to be a part of it.

Off to eat pancakes now and have a sob!! Thanks for listening x

Do you know its exactly the same as when you book a hair cut!! Your hair always goes brilliantly on the day your about to have it cut off!!!! :)

You have done the right thing and i am sure you will find a position which will complement your experience and attributes AND make you happy!!

I wish you loads of luck and best wishes.

Jenni x

Here Shelley reading your post reminded me of why I left one of my jobs - again the owners did not see the problems that was acurring in the nursery regarding 2 of their senior staff. Now they are constantly adversting for nursery staff nearly every 1 -2 months and nobody is staying, not even the ones who worked when I worked there. xD:o

Good luck with what ever you do in the future. :D

Beth

Oh, Shelly1 :o ! I feel for you. I don't recall all the issue, but... could you have spoken to people higher than this problematic person to see if things could change? What do your other colleagues feel about her/him?

Did your boss accept your notice? What did s/he say?

Take care and best wishes :) .

Shelley,

good luck for your future.

Now who will i moan at about my deputy :o LOL. i really hope that the future holds better and happier times for you.

Dawn x

SmileyPR - met with my line manager today about my resignation and she was very nasty saying she thought she had supported me loads, and blah blah blah.

I was quite blunt back and stuck up for myself (which I don't always do). I asked her to tell me how xxx company could justify allowing a staff member to carry on working in a senior position, when they have done some of the serious things they have done.

She couldn't answer!

I said that it is not only my happiness and my health, but my career on the line, as I am the registered person and I don't wish to put my name to such poor practice.

She is off frantically making phone calls but she's just managed to cheese me off even more.

slightly different angle, the fact that you are the registered person but not the owner is a situation that I find difficult to understand although I know it is the practice of large companies.

As an owner I personally couldn't pass the registered person responsibility onto any employee of mine, even if they were suitable for such a position, they would never have an equal sense of responsibility as I have for my own business ( if you see what I mean), and how could they carry out this responsibility if I as owner challenged or ignored their decisions in what they are saying are within the RP positions responsibility. :o

You are right to leave as your principles are being compromised.

has there been a previous full investigation on this persons previous incidents? ie: Ofsted, child protection/ social services?

If not seriously consider whether a formal complaint should be made in the context of childrens safety and well being is paramount. Difficult I know but something we are all morally and professionally responsible to do.

If an investigation has taken place, but further incidents have been witnessed by you then again consider reporting them.

This may be the dilemma that is causing such unhappiness as well as making the decision to leave.

Have strength and know that you have done what is right for you, moving on in the knowledge that your principles are what give you your professionalism and what will enevitably enable you to gain a sense of worth in any future position.

best wishes to you.

Peggy

Well done Shelley, it's not always easy to tell others when things arent being done right, but as Peggy says, we all have a responsibilty to do so. The impact on our own professionalism can be damaging too so I'd say your well out of it.

Good luck :D

Thanks, Shelley1, for your kind responds :) .

I think you really left your line manager in shock :o . S/he might not have expected your resignation xD . Anyway, it is good that you felt confident in expressing to her what you were seeing.

Sometimes one has to do this, to say things and leave, to be able to keep growing and to even leave the 'questioning' so those who stay wake up and make the necessary changes. If they don't, then they might need a bit of help to achieve it... like Peggy and Rea have just said about reporting the case. I know it will work out.

Today is another story!!!

The Human Resources dept of the organisation I work for received their copy of my resignation today, which basically said that I can no longer work there because of the risks to the children in my abscence, and because I cannot stand by and wait for something to happen.

This obviously whetted their appetities (as intended :o ), and they contacted my line manager to find out what is going on.

She now has to forward copies of the notes from all the times I went to see her about my concerns, and they are now questioning why it has reached this point (!!!!).

They are coming down to do an investigation, and are looking to demote the staff member in question - at the very least.

Whilst I am pleased this is happening, I am also very very hurt and angry that it took for my resignation to make this happen. How come something is being done about it now that I am leaving? If it had been sorted appropriately before, then I wouldn't be in this position.

Dont' know what to do or how I feel????

THANK-YOU loads for listening, and for all the support and kind words - it means loads x

Edited by Guest