Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fresh Ideas For A Topic Theme....

We are just completing our 2nd time round our 2 year planning cycle and are ripe for a change for the Summer Term. We've done the usual and this time 2 years ago we had a theme of Kings & Queens for Jubilee which is obviously not appropriate.

Does anyone have any new ideas which would appeal to 3 to 5 year olds. Did wonder about minibeasts again but we never seem to have much luck with timing it right to find the beasties!

Thank you!

Sorry I didn't reply earlier - can't wait to get broadband in our area - I imagine it makes life much easier.

To answer your question we are just completing a topic on shapes and patterns which has been really great. We managed to incorporate works of artists such as Mondrian, Kandinsky, Klee and Lowry (a bit tenuous that one!) - it really grasped the children's imagination and added lots of stimulation for us! We have done topics on 'ourselves' including 'I'm Special', Bible Stories (including multicultural tales to balance things out), People who Help Us (fab!), traditional tales, Pets, Night & Day, - basically we have covered most of the usual topics which is why we are seeking some fresh ideas! Bears sounds interesting and has already led us to think of the wider context of animals - say bears to begin with, then farm animals finishing with zoo animals. This could tie in well with our summer trip....... we're open to all suggestions but particularly something more unusual that you may have tried and found worked well. Over to you!

Under the water and on the beach is one of our favourites for summer-this links well with the children going on holiday. It has lots of scope if you allow your imagination to run away with it.

Linda

Thanks for your ideas! At our staff meeting on Friday we decided to do 'transport'. Haven't done it for ages but it will really suit lots of our boys in particular who are totally obsessed with 'Thomas the Tank Engine' etc. We'll ring the changes with our trip too - hopefully to Welshpool Steam Railway! Not been there before but sounds great. Transport seemed a good topic with the summer hols coming up (says she optimistically!!).

Hi Lisa,

We just did a transport theme, and it was really popular with the kids this year - we made the role play area into a garage and the boys just loved it - it's often such a struggle to get them in there 'acting out!'. I just wish we'd had a local garage to visit - a few years ago when I was in London we visited Catford Bus Garage, and it was great!! (But I think it's not allowd any more due to Health & Safety stuff)

Have fun,

Dianne xxx

Hi Lisa - we always do minibeasts at the start of the summer term and don't have any trouble finding minibeasts. We did up worms from the garden and make a wormery. We find tadpoles in the pond as well as many other water beasts in and on the pond. We find snails and slugs everywhere after a spot of rain. We find spiders everywhere inside and out but although I have a lovely patch of nettles in my garden I have never found a single caterpillar but you can order these from www.insectlore-europe.com we have rotting logs and can always find a number of multilegged creatures underneath. Happy hunting.

Can anyone think of 'multicultural' activities for under the sea? We have another planning meeting after the easter hols and would like to have it completed by then. Thanks Jackie

is anyone doing an olympic theme, as it is the olympics this summer, (unless i am completely wrong!! and have the wrong year) Also Euro 2004 football could be incorporated for those older boys

that could make a change and loads of outdoor physcial actiities

Hi Carol, sorry for not replying earlier - had the in-laws!!!!

I'm sure our ideas will not differ greatly from yours so I'll just summarise some of our more unusual activities which worked well.

Jack & Beanstalk- older children practiced drawing spirals, then did one on green card and cut it out carefully to make a beanstalk. They then drew their idea of Jack and the giant, then cut them out and bluetacked them on the beanstalk where they wanted. We threaded the top of the spiral and hung the beanstalks from the ceiling by our display. Fantastic and all the childrens' own work.

Enormous turnip - looked at veg, and tasted raw & cooked. Lots of exploring of pull and push (forces). Painted lifesize portraits (drew around children and they then painted the detail using mirror to copy their clothes, hair etc). These were then displayed in keyworker groupings, according to size, mimicking the sequence of everyone pulling the turnip out of the ground. Takes a lot of space. Could be downsized to A3.

Billy Goats Gruff - Having looked at information books each child junk modelled their own and very individual bridge! They made trolls from clay, and finger puppet goats and acted out the story. Very multi-sensory! Extended with Hollow Blocks in role play area. Bridges extended in duplo too. Red riding Hood. Made salt dough cakes for Grandma (good way to consolidate skills from clay trolls). Made baskets, decorated doillies (repeating patterns) and painted dried cakes. Overall result stunning and children naturally wanted to incorporate their cakes into the role play. Why didn't Ofsted come that week??????!!!!!!!!!!

How's that for starters? Have fun - its always a fabulous topic which can develop beyond your wildest dreams!

Lisa

This is my first posting. In reply to Cybertwins Olympic theme.

We are an after school club and want to do something on the Olympics this summer and would welcome any ideas.

So far, we have thought of making flags for participating countries and perhaps have a "mini Olypmic games" session, and each child could choose a country to "represent".

The children could use their imagination to devise a new game for the olmpics. Has anyone got any other ideas? hope you can help!

Hi Lisa,

Sorry, managed to miss your reply earlier in the week. There are some great ideas here. :) I work on my own and sometimes I feel I need a bit of input from someone else to spark my imagination off too, if you know what I mean. I think I find it most difficult starting off but once I get going........... :D

Kathy,

Welcome to the site - I wasn't ignoring you on purpose! How about making their own medals and tasting foods from the countries they're representing. Will go away and think a bit more about this one. :)

Hi Mundia and Beau

thanks for your replies and suggestions.. most welcome :D

This site was reccomended to me by a fellow student and I thought I would try it out.... I didnt expect a reply so soon.

will need to have a think too but it helps if i get ideas to start me off... lol

The food is a great idea, thanks Beau

Hi Jackie!

Better late than never, have been 'indisposed', but back now!

As you don't appear to have had any under-sea multicultural responses, here's one to get you started. Will try to think of more and get back to you. How about traditional tales and mythology? e.g. Scottish 'selkies' (legendary creatures that change from seal to human and vice versa), naiads, Neptune, etc etc... Researching other cultures is always good fun, think you might find Caribbean/South America /Aborigine may be a useful area. As I say, will get back if I find more or other ideas.

Good luck

Sue :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)