Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Writing Area

I used to have loads of print, preferably in different languages especially, Chinese and Arabic because it looks so different to English. Alphabet cards, pictures of people writing, samples of writing - menus, tickets, forms, leaflets. That was about it really, it changed often because our walls were 'out of bounds' thanks to the church hall committee! :o:D

I have much the same as you Rea. In addition I have the guidelines for forming letters, round the curly caterpillar, down the long ladder, up the robot down the robot round the robot arm. I also put a work bank up to match whatever is the dominant theme in the class.

We have shopping lists, party invitiations, appointment cards, addressed envelopes - lots of models of different reasons to write!

A nice idea I recently saw at a show was to have a book displayed with writing things linked to it e.g. Kipper's Birthday with cards, gift tags, party bags along with just small pots of assorted writing tools in different colours, the whole area although only small was decked out with birthday banners, balloons too to set a small scene

Edited by Guest

hi i try to change some things i have on display depending on what we are doing. i always have the alphabet and the children's picture and name cards and have a variety of differnt wrting ie invitations, posters, etc i model examples and display them alongside the childrens attempts at them, this works fairly well. i try to use a range of fonts and handwriting.

Much the same as everyone else. I also have the reception high frequency words up and a picture to show them how to hold their pencil correctly (only right handed at the mo, but now I think about it...).

I have a washing line where children can peg notes/creations that they have made + letter guide with arrows (taken from the back of the DfES early writing book - aprt from I changed the k to have a round top bit rather than a stick!.

I also have three groups of letters sorted into - one armed robot, curly caterpillar and long ladder.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)