Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Masks

My students are interested in making masks and have been doing so :D as part of their free play within the topics that we have been studying.

Do you think it would be worth to make a topic on "Masks"? I don't know if I would be able to cover the 6 areas :o .

I think that sounds like great fun. I bet if you think about it you could cover all areas. Perhaps it could be a mini topic. learning that comes to mind is;

PSED-circle time session on rules when wearing masks, i.e no running etc.

Literacy- Drama/re telling traditional tales using masks.

Mathematical-shape, measure(string for round head)

Creative-mask painting/collage

KUW-Ict mask making/masks in other cultures

PD-Scissor skills, dance.

have fun!

add laminating for KUW (technology) and the masks last longer :o

Peggy

just had another idea, digital camera take photo of friends face, print, make into a mask, laminate, and they can pretend to be each other for a day ( or as long as the mask stays on xD ) Girls could be boys and boys could be girls if they wished. :(

Peggy

face paint masks for CD . often let my lot loose with the face paints and it is surprising the art work they come up with. role play often goes on for ages in home corner with the wooden spring onion as the paint brush and the dishes as paint pots .

It is soon Carnival time in Venice, for Shrove Tuesday, and everyone wears masks. Some are commedia del Arte, some animals, Tradgedy and Comedy, Plague Dr. and so on. Some of the masks are wonderful. they are made out of papier mache. You can find them if you look Venice Carnival up on Google. They would give you and the chidren ideas, perhaps your own carnival procession, and it would fit in with RE and cultural celebrations.

Hey and guess what- I'm going there this year - can't wait :D !

Oh, girls (friendly expresion xD ), you are wonderful :D ! I love all of your ideas!

Yes, mj-led, this would only be for a week :( . It will end up being like a workshop week since we do have some 'structure' within our day. I will have to 'advice' my Head-Teacher in advance since we are having our professional evaluations done. He is formally visiting us.

Peggy, I think your idea will be atractive to some of my children. I wonder if the boys will keep making Super Heroe masks or if they will challange themselves to something else. Well, they have made other types of masks, so I think they might. One of the mums is an artist, so I could try to see if we could work out something on Monday and Tuesday so they can use it on Wednesday ("Carnaval" activity).

I will have a new student starting on Monday and maybe this might help her to express :o any new feelings she might experience. She did seem quite confident when she came to visit us with her parents last week. Beau, thanks for the tip :)

Shuttle... I can imagine how messy it will become in my classroom with the face painting! Well, if we work out the rules first then that will be minimized :( .

Hey, JackquieL... We will be celebrating "Carnaval" next Wednesday! Yes, on St. Valentine's Day :wacko: , since we have free the next week (Shrove Tuesday, Ash Wednesday). I will search Google for your information. Thanks!

I think that it is me, in my fear :( of not being so 'naturally' creative that held me at first, but I will go for the challange :D . Again, thanks a million to all of you :D !

Edited by SmileyPR

Sure! I will post some pictures, although I will have to blur their faces for privacy matters. The child who's mum is an artist did not come today, so I hope I can see her tomorrow. My Head of Primary said it is okay with him :D .

Best wishes for you too, Harricoft, in your activities of next week. Hope you can also post some photos.

Edited by SmileyPR

We will be making masks next week as part of our Chinese New Year celebrations - Year of the pig Saturday 17th February.

isn't chinese new year the 18th? ~ at least that's what the lady at the chinese takeaway said :D

Oh, yes they are! They are full of energy all the time! I have more photos but, because of privacy matters, I didn't post them. I will see if I can blurr them later on during the week and share them with you. We will have our Pre-School and Primary Carnival Parade tomorrow.

And... HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY to all of you :o !

With such a happy looking bunch I am sure you will have great fun at tomorrows carnival parade, look forward to seeing more photo's. :D

Peggy

p.s. great masks too :D

I got some templates from here:

Scissorcraft

Enchanted Learning

This is my planning:

Masks_FSF.doc

Feb._12___16_goals.doc

Parents_Feb._12___16_Masks.doc

(By the way, thanks for all your contributions!)

I must say that most of my children can read more words than those written in the Parent's weekly schedule. I just took advantage that these books were related to the topic to encourage the slower ones to have a go with 'easier' books. I don't use all of the ORT books, which are the ones we have to use at our school. I have been using the Songbirds, which are more in line with Synthetic Phonics and PWS. I have at least 4 different reading levels.

Our school is quite flexible with our planning, so it might seem not as detailed as those asked in schools in the U.K.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)