Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Need Some Advice, Ideas

I have a child aged 3 yrs who has downs syndrome, but this query could relate to any child who needs language development support.

I need some advice on ways to support this child in using the terms "I" "me" "you"

She uses the persons name, ie: instead of "I am drinking", she will say " Susan drinking" ( talking about self) or "Peggy eating" instead of "you are eating" Part of it is that she tends to use 2 word sentences instead of three, however, she is capable of stringing more than 2 words together in a sentence.

any games, phrases I can use,? I am role modelling the language ( sorry can't think of the term for it, is it person singular?) such as "I am reading now" or "I like threading" She just keeps using her name instead of "I". It's a bit like a child who says "me, drinking" instead of I'm drinking"

I need ideas to help the use of "I".

Peggy

I think that it is developmental Peggy, all young children do it, some less than others and I think its down to modelling which you are already doing. Which language form are the parents modelling, some parents I have noticed favour the name rather than first person singular even when talking about themselves?

Im doing an online language course with my school at the moment and I will bear your question in mind as I have to pose a question via the tutor!! Maybe I will even have the incentive to tear myself away form here and go online elsewhere this weekend!?

any games, phrases I can use,? I am role modelling the language ( sorry can't think of the term for it, is it person singular?) such as "I am reading now" or "I like threading" She just keeps using her name instead of "I". It's a bit like a child who says "me, drinking" instead of I'm drinking"

I need ideas to help the use of "I".

Peggy

Is it language describing possession Peggy?

We had a lad who was just like that Peggy. Sam is playing , Sam is reading. It was really hard to model the correct language because you had to say yes 'you' are reading. In time he started to use I of his own accord but it was some months later.

How about a circle game with 2-3 other children saying what they are holding reinforcing the 'I' am holding a car, I am holding a teddy? Or actions, I can jump, I can run? Or something personal, I am Susan, I am a girl?

Might work over a few weeks? :D

Peggy

I would love to offer some brilliant tried and tested 'tips' to help you help this child, for the child of course, but mainly because you always give such good, knowledgable, considered advice - most of what I'm learning at the moment comes from this Forum and when I see your name on a posting I know the advice will be sound and non judgemental - so thank you for that.

However, all i can say in this case is that Rea's advice sounds good, perhaps also adapt some simple songs along the lines of....this is the way 'I' wash my face etc......... on a cold and frosty morning. how about the game...I went to the market and I bought....etc

Using a 'knock, knock box' - pass round small group, modelling language - 'I see a red brick in the box' change item and pass on - 'what do you see in the box'.

Perhaps during the day give choices to children which may prompt lots of "me" responses ...who'd like to help with snack...etc.

I'm sure lots of good ideas will flow in - I'll read them with interest and learn something also.

Good luck with your child.

Sam

I agree with Susan and Rea - continual role modelling and maybe a few little small group games and chats where each child describes something personal to them that they have done, they are holding, they would like to do, etc.etc. It does sound like a developmental thing. :o

Edited by Wolfie

I agree with all of you as well. Just an extra thought though, does this child hear people talking about what he is doing all the time- you know the 'does he take sugar?' type of thing- I'm not suggesting in your setting I mean at home with family. It may be that they are so please when he does things that they tell each other and he is hearing that and copying them. Perhaps this needs to be something you all work on together.

I did a course run by ELKLAN on supporting language development with preschool children (or similar title!) It's level 3 and I would recommend it to anyone who gets the chance to do it.

Anyway, the advice there for moving children on as well as

Child: 'Susan drinking'

Adult: 'Yes, I (pointing to self and emphasising word) am drinking too'

is to actually say 'You say, 'I'm drinking'' and obviously lots of praise when they get it right.

I agree with the others too that it is a stage they all go through and generally DS childrne have delayed language development.

Hello Peggy

Can't offer any thing more than what your doing and been advised, however have you seen the

Early Support (helping every child exceed) Developmental Journal

it is a DfES publication ref: ES49

this publication is a developmental profile of a child with down syndome from birth to three. I expect it would still be useful to you and others on the forum, got lots of nice charts and spaces for record keeping! These folders are supposed to be being given out to parents and carers but they are available to anyone. It has been put together by the down syndrome educational trust also their webb site and they are very helpful they have lots of resourses and ideas that are good htt://www.downsed.org/

this particular child is her mother speaking to her in English? She may be delayed if English is not always spoke at home and if she has been abroad recently.

sqpeg

Peggy, I have a child with Downs Syndrome in my class. He signs some two word phrases but vocally mainly uses one word, picking out the essential information, eg the surname of the lady who works with him one to one if he wants her attention. We get some support from an independent speech therapist who does a lot of work with Downs children; she is in next week on Tuesday, so I'll ask!

AOB

Thank you all for your support and ideas. :D

The child is currently attending speech therapy, and yes squpeg, she is dual language, mother is Italian. We do find that she becomes more fluent, in her attempts to string 3+ words, when she returns from a visit to Italy. Thanks for the web links, I shall do a bit of research. I shall also try some of the suggested activities, I just went blank for ideas, so thanks again.

Peggy

What a useful topic - although I don't have any further ideas.

We often have children who use me instead of I and it is really difficult to model correct language back as you have to say 'yes you are...', so all the ideas really useful expecially advice from pandamonium's course.

We once had a pupil with down's syndrome but she communicated in simple makaton signs to complement her vocabulary-not sure though if she had hearing problems too or whether this was the recommendation as I wasn't teaching in her class then

Hi Peggy, spoke to speech therapist yesterday. She said not only is this quite common developmentally, but that also children with Downs will hear parents discussing them, using their name a lot. Also schools often send home reports with Susie did xyz today, etc which they may then hear read aloud which will also promote that use of speech. She suggested using reading to promote talk along the lines of making photo books. Under a photo of the child doing something it might say ' I can ........' 'I like.........'. She said with lots of reading of such materials it would help the child make the connection with how the language is used. Hope that makes sense. The little boy I have is 5 and is just beginning to make two word utterances, eg 'no down'. He can say a few number names intelligibly, his brother's name and one child's name in the class which begins with the same letter. He doesn't yet say his own name in a recognisable way. Lots of milestones to go! Speech therapist was very happy to give advice, so I'm sure if there were any other queries later on she would be helpful.

AOB

Thanks AOB, your comments make a lot of sense, her name is 'overused' in conversation, about her or 'to' her.

I may try the photo book but would want to do it with all children in the setting, to be inclusive.

Good luck with your lad of 5, it's seeing the milestones, however small, that makes our work so worthwhile. :D

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)