Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What Does A Ta Do?

I realise you could answer 'how long is a piece of string?' but I just want an idea of the role of the TA. I work for an agency and up till now have covered in playgroups and nurseries, but today they asked me to go to a school R/Yr1 as a TA. I declined because I've never been in a school and would hate to make a pigs ear of it. Suggestions as to what TA's in your school do would be helpful. :D

Thanks folks :D

Im sure you would have been ok, more than OK rea!

Some schools employ NN for the role in FS.

You would be working alongside the teacher, supporting the children in whole class situations and maybe taking small groups for adult guided activities.

You could also be required to set up and clear away etc etc, to photocopy and do displays and support the teacher in general admin type tasks.

Why not ask your agency but they are unlikely to offer you work you cant fulfil or they lose a client ie the school?

My TA today has

collected the children from the hall at the start of school as our playground was out of action.

checked their bookbags for homework

sat with the children while I did a phonic input, keeping them on task and responding

worked with some children sequencing a story

set out fruit

double checked my on entry assessments re FSP!

supported me in a PE lesson, including helping children change

supervised children at the end of the session

All the TAs in my school are NNs and do roughly the same.

They work with both large and small groups supporting CI or leading adult led activities. To anyone coming into school it would be very difficult to know who are teachers and who are TAs.

I have just been asked to work in the local school where my children go as a TA, it is a casual thing as I am at nursery most of the week, but I covered sickness for the TA last week on my day off and the week before also, I felt really at home, the job felt very similar to what I do at nursery - the children where a lot more independent (normally i am with 2-3 yr olds) but I thoroughly enjoyed it and saw my role as the teacher's support, I was able to jump in and read a story, carry out tasks with the children in small groups it was fantastic, it has made me think that I would like to find a TA job, unfortunately one in reception is like golddust around this area, it seems every parent in the local area applies for the jobs IF they haven't already been filled before they reach the paper.

I think and hope if you decide to supply you will find it a nice experience, it is nice to see the progression and the way in which the school works, I was lucky that the reception teacher where I am is currently studying for an MA in Early years and is passionate about her job which made it a valuable experience to be working with her.

Thanks for that. :D:D

I knew I was qualified and able but I didnt want to be asking questions all day or even worse, sitting and waiting to be told to do something! I've seen a couple of agency staff who think their role is to be a wall decoration, I'd hate people to think that of me :o

I think it might be a good idea to give the local primary a call to see if I could volunteer for the day. I really would hate to be the person who gave the agency a bad name and I'm rubbish on photo copiers too xD

Rea

when we have a supply TA in school wether it is in fu or y6 we want someone who has common sense, who likes children and talks to us. Many of our supply TAs seem really scared of our kids. as a supply you should expect some direction from the teacher you are working with and I am sure you would be great

going in to your local school would certainly give you confidence and in Nottingham if we get a friendly face who mucks in we welcome them with open arms

Good luck

Jo

I have a whole group of friends who are TAs. They love their jobs. They worked from Foundation up to Year 6, and some work in several classes. Many of them work 1:1 with a particular child.

They are all worth their weight in gold.

Rea,

Reading josiebrad's comment, I can say that I'm sure you'd fit the bill! The way you settled down with the children in our preschool unit when you visited was brilliant, they still ask when you're coming back!

Sue

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)