Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lesson Observation

hi i have 2 lesson observations next week and need some help with more ideas. im planning around the book the enormous turnip.

really appreciate ideas

thanks x

The Great Big Enormous Turnip Movement Activity

Pair children and tell them to face each other holding hands. One child, pretending to be the farmer, stands straight. The other child pretending to be a turnip, squats.

The farmers chant:

Grow little turnip,

grow sweet.

Grow little turnip,

grow strong.

I'll pull and pull

and pull and pull,

'Til you pop right

out of the ground.

On the last line, the turnip pops up and the farmer squats down. Let children change partners after each round.

sequence the story

ordinal numbers display 1st the old man 2nd the old lady etc

Retell the story with children or puppets. They could make turnip soup and make a recipe booklet. Taste various vegetables which grow under the ground. Vegetable printing. Number line of characters and adding on one more. Buy different sized turnips from the little white ones to large swedes- can they order them by size, weight etc? Greengrocers shop. Forces- pulling and pushing. Can you think of any other way they could have got the turnip out of the ground? Planting seeds.

Forces, pulling and pushing. What else can we pull like the turnip? How hard do we have to pull.The opposite of pull, what do we have to push? Labels on things inside and outside pulling and pushing.

I have just got a book from library, the alternative enormous turnip story. The children in the book choose different methods to pull the turnip, such as crane, helicopter, at the end they use a long rope to pull the turnip out.

i have the interview this week are there any questions you think they are likey to ask, any tips on preparing for this would be a great help.

also should i preapre a protfolio or anything x

Edited by Guest

Clare, I would have expected to be asked if they required anything else.

Be prepared to answer questions on the lesson and talk about what you do etc.

Re read the Foundation Stage Teacher in action if you think you need to do anything else.

Good luck

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)