Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fun Times

skippy

we would like to include a five/ten minute group time for our 2/3 yr olds. We have got the usual story, sonds, mucical instruments etc just wondering if anyone has any good fun things that they do with their littlies. We thought this would be a good social opportunity for all to be together for a very short time.

Most of my 2-3's, especially 2's being solo / parallel level of play tend to prefer 1-1 / paired play. Some would even get annoyed at having to form into a group and leave their explorative play.

We do sometimes do as Hali says, or mainly follow their lead, ie: the other day the group naturally formed into having running races, a few boys started it then everyone naturally chose to join in, no adult lead, adults then joined in and extended the time of this play by introducing different races. :D

Why do you feel they need another adult led activity than the group story etc??

Peggy

How about parachute games? You don't necessarily need a parachute (although they are a great resource) - a big tablecloth or other piece of material would do... a quick search found this for inspiration.

It brings back memories of lots of fun with my rising 5s group :) Happy days! :D

I also used to do games like Kim's game, hide and seek an object, find an object beginning with.... , and 'Mr Bear' (I've borrowed the description from another website!)

A bear listening game I play with my 3 & 4 year olds is called 'Bears Like Honey' and it goes like this... We all sit in a circle. One child is chosen to be a bear and sits in the center with a musical instrument e.g. sleigh bells (imaginary honey pot). All the children chant "Isn't it funny how bears like honey, buzz, buzz, buzz. I wonder why he does. Go to sleep Mr. bear, don't peep Mr. Bear." (At this point the child in the center pretends to sleep and a child from the circle pinches the honey pot/bells - and shakes them loudly and hides them behind their back, everyone hides their hands. We all shout "Wake up Mr. Bear, someone has stolen your honey!" the child in the center then has to try and remember where they heard the sound coming from when the bells were shook. They say the name of a child they think has got it, that child either shows their empty hands or the instrument. When the culprit is found then it is their turn to be the bear in the circle. A really good test of listening skills!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)