Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Canals

Hi - anyone out there who has a link to useful resources about canals (in particular narrowboats) to give some ideas for Pre School activities. Have tried Rosie and Jim official website but nothing to download from there. Feeling a little bit at a loss.

Thanks

I've noticed that you're in Cheshire - have you got any local canal trusts? I know the Shropshire Union Canal runs through Cheshire but I'm not sure whereabouts you are. When I did some work on canals I went to some local shops actually on the canal in Staffordshire and got hold of some useful resources. One place lent me some of the traditional roses and castles tinware. Try the British Waterways site, they might have some kind of educational resources?

The Trent and Mersey, the Bridgewater, the Shropshire Union and the Macclesfield canal all pass through Cheshire. There is a wonderful canal boat museum in Ellsemere Port which may be able to help you, as they are used to children visiting. This site may also help you with information:

www.show.me.uk/site/news/STO161.html

I know the health and safety issues are absolutely huge but if the preschool is actually near a canal, do you know any friendly narrowboat owners who would let the children go and have a look round their boat? We did that - on a ratio of one adult to one child with lots of parent help! - and the children absolutely loved it! The thing that fascinated them the most was...of course....the toilet - they all suddenly needed a wee! We took our snack down there and ate it on the boat, it was such a great morning. Just a thought! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)