Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aid

I work in a nursery attached to a school and from the end of this month our nursery nurse will be the only named first aider for the school (this is all we legally need but up until now we have had another first aider).

We are concerned about the volume of 'casualties' that could well be descending upon the nursery needing to be seen by the first aider.

What happens in other settings - is it only the first aider who administers any first aid i.e. would other staff clean up minor scrapes or apply cold compress to minor bumps? do all these minor injuries get checked by the first aider & who writes up the accident record.

We have a list of any children who can't use e.g. plasters so this is easy for anyone to check.

would be very grateful for any comments.

We are the same at pre-school. It just makes life easier if everybody has 1st aid training. You need to find out what your school policy states regarding treating injured children-minor or major injuries.

Linda

Agree with Linda, need to check with your schools policy and if it is treatment by 1st aider only for all injuries then maybe you will need to monitor and record how this affects the 1st aiders other job responsibilities.

Peggy

We all Have had inset training from the red cross. They came in and did emergency first aid training only. Took a day but we were able to get teachers ta's and msa's attending and now we can deal with things. Anything bigger than emergency 1st aid we ring a parent or an ambulance!

Lixz x

What happens when/if she has a day off sick and when she goes on holiday? Or, God forbid, that you have a major incident involving two children/people or more.

Thanks for all your speedy replies - what a great idea to have first aid training as part of INSET - does 1 person still have to be the named first aider (i think ours has to do the LA approved first aid training). Were any staff unhappy about being trained - there has always been a reluctance to be the person responsible for first aid (but maybe this is because they are 'on their own').

situation with one first aider has arisen temporarily as our staff will change in September as part of school review (close & reopen) but yes as Sam says is a big concern (I think) in mean time.

The requirements are that there is a trained first aider on site at all times, so when the NN has a day off/when she is on training etc, there is a problem!

One person would still be the named/designated first aider who would make final decisions about calling an ambulance, parent etc, but there is no harm in everyone having the basic knowledge.

Yes, there is anxiety about being the 'responsible' person for dealing with emergencies, but if everyone/the majority were trained, then expertise could be shared in the event of an incident. The three development officers in my team were trained last year for our Playday event and whilst being anxious about dealing with any major injuries (we had to call an ambulance twice) we worked together and supported each other in the decision making process.

There is safety in numbers...

Guest MaryEMac

Myself and another member of staff did a 12 hour first aid course last year and the other 3 staff members are going to do it this year. This way there are always at least 3 people with the training on site at every session.

Mary

Wow, I've never been in a school (teaching or supply) where everyone is trained for 1st aid. In my current school 2 TAs and the head are trained for 1st aid and only if we feel they need to see a 1st aider do we take children to them, otherwise we deal with it ourselves in class.

In most other schools I've been in there have been 2 people trained.

• 3 weeks later...

Ofsted only asked about childrens 12 hour 1st aid course, that was ok and how any staff trained

(all but me!!! ops but back currently prevents me doing the training)

Just had 2 staff attend one this week and they now have to do a 3 hour update every year as well as the 12 hour one every 3 years. More expense and time commitments, particularly as they only seem to do them on Saturday around here

Inge